Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

May attempt System Build, a little frightened...

• Please log in to reply

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I know that Intel is coming out with a new chipset. Im just more of an AMD fan. And, I do know that if people could hold off till 2007 AMD will have something out that will beat even the Conroe Extreme Edition.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I know that Intel is coming out with a new chipset. Im just more of an AMD fan. And, I do know that if people could hold off till 2007 AMD will have something out that will beat even the Conroe Extreme Edition.

yeah soon after that intel will have something better also, they have change their ways and now is more of a competition for the gamers market. Its a never ending thing, at one time one company will be better then soon the other will be coming out with something faster and better.

I liked the socket 939 boards and socket 939 cpus but not any longer because of newer stuff already out and soon coming. I build alot of 939 pc's they were great but not so great for too much longer..

I like both manufacturers but intel will be ontop for alittle while until amd comes out with something better. It will be in mid to later 2007 so intel will be better for awhile..

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

The 2.40 ghz version will probably run around $300-$315, 4mb cache.

Can anybody tell me why there is a 200 $US difference between the E6600 and the E6700 while the speed diffenrence is only like 0.26Ghz and they both have the same amount of cache?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

The 2.40 ghz version will probably run around $300-$315, 4mb cache.

Can anybody tell me why there is a 200 $US difference between the E6600 and the E6700 while the speed diffenrence is only like 0.26Ghz and they both have the same amount of cache?

Yeah I noticed that its alittle over $200-$215 more for the E6700 for about 266 or 267mhz more lol..

Thats why I tell everyone to get the 2.40ghz version its gonna be the best deal around for the price/performance ratio.. You can overclock the chip to 2.67ghz like a piece of cake too..

Edited by jrm20, 07 July 2006 - 03:45 PM.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've read that you could overclock the E6700 to 4Ghz on air. Do you think this could be a reason for the price diff or am i having a fantasy? How far do you think the E6600 can go?

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've read that you could overclock the E6700 to 4Ghz on air. Do you think this could be a reason for the price diff or am i having a fantasy? How far do you think the E6600 can go?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yes some guys have done this... Look up in google this.. e6700 4ghz on air If you type that in google it will have some info about it..

http://www.xtremesys...ad.php?t=101796

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok thanks i'll take a look

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok thanks i'll take a look

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Edit: woops sorry.. little bug there..

Edited by kebabboy, 07 July 2006 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
It doesnt mean that you need to try this on your brand new conroe if you get one.

Those guys are pros and know what they are doing. Even though its pretty easy to do it I dont recommend doing that for beginners at all...

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Lol, that's exactly what i was telling myself.. I think i'll just stick to the E6600 when it comes and see what I can manage with it. For me the price gap just isn't worth it...

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I do know that if people could hold off till 2007 AMD will have something out that will beat even the Conroe Extreme Edition.

Amd isnt coming out with anything spectacular until mid 2007 the earliest at all.. Its always pushed back alittle so anywhere from mid 2007- end of 2007...

http://www.theregist...md_analyst_day/

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
In doing a final review of my parts I noticed a potential problem.. the power supply I had selected was:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103931

This PS has a main connector of 20+4 but the ABit MB I selected has a main connectot listed as 24 pin:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127236

These will not be compatible, correct?

Would this PS be better: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341001

Also, is this PS compatible? Thanks.

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Note:

Deleted contents

Edited by GeekMan, 08 July 2006 - 07:16 AM.