Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop display

• Please log in to reply

arcticmac

arcticmac

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have started to have a problem with my laptop dispaly quite frequintly the display dimms rigt down almost to black. In bright sun you can see the image on the screen. I put the laptop into standby and power it back up the display works. I have to do this about ever 4-8 minutes. I have run adware, spyware and virus programs and nothing was found. Any suggestions??

Thank you

Advertisements

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It could be your tube (Hard to replace) in your LCD or it could be the inverter (easy) or just a loose connection. I assume that the dimming button is not stuck? You have tried to brighten the display with the keyboard?
:whistling:

arcticmac

arcticmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have and the only way to restore the picture is to either restart or put it into standby then wake it up. I have just borrowed another monitor and have it pluged into the laptop, using both monitors I have not had a problem. I thought a bad driver or as you suggest a bad connection but that would not explain why both monitors are working now. Bad connection one would black out , driver both would black out???
I have no idea anymore.

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
so you have plugged a desk top monitor into your laptop and it works. If so then i would suspect the INVERTER or the TUBE in the LCD screen. a bad connection to the LCD will NOT affect the monitor operation.

arcticmac

arcticmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wouldn't my lcd monitor still fail if the external monitor was hooked up, I was running them as a clone so both were active??

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
S :whistling: o you are saying that the separate monitor still works (views everything ok)
even after the LCD goes out. Also especially if you can still see the graphics on the screen, but just not lit.

arcticmac

arcticmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When the other monitor is hooked up both work with no problem. I will be near a repair shop soon ( there is none near where I live) I will take it in, I think that maybe easier.
Thank you very much for your help.

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I see. wow it sounds like a software problem. This is unusual to be sure. I understand your problem now. it seems unlikley that it would be the tube or the inverter.

arcticmac

arcticmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think you are right it may be some kind of virus or such that I can't detect. I will get professional help if it keeps up. As I said thank you for your time and help.

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I suppose you have checked the the display settings in the control pannel. It seems like the monitor is forcing the display to stay on. You said that you had them cloned. I wonder if you were to restore your computer to a former restore point if that may help. Perhaps the display driver got corrupted how about reinstalling your display driver. I wonder if there are any new programs that have a conflict with your display. I sure hope this helps. Make sure to finish the topic with the solution to your problem.

arcticmac

arcticmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the system restore and it did nothing to help, I updated the driver online. Acording to my system info I have no conflicts with the divice drivers. But after running the laptop with the other monitor my problem has become less frequent. I also have been turning the computer off more and that seems to help as well. I use the laptop like a regular full size computer, maybe it was over heating? The problem is not resolved but all the actions have been helping, I will still send(take) it in to have it checked out in the near future.