Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game runs slow - jerky

• Please log in to reply

7AirCavMan

7AirCavMan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok...so this is my first post. Hope I get it right and don't tick anyone off.
I am running Windows XP Pro with a Pentium 4 3 MHZ and 512 megabytes of ram.
I have an ATI graphics card that is fast (9000 series don't remember the exact specs)
The game I have been trying to run is Descent 2 and Descent 3. The joystick is a USB Saitek.
When the game is running there is an unwanted up and down shaking in the display screens.
When I recently downloaded a version of Descent 2 which would run stand alone without the CD present it worked fine for the first few weeks but then later started acting up again with the same symptoms.
I do not like Norton products (I used to believe the product would do just about anything but no longer).
I run Grisoft AVG and it detects most of the virus(es) out there along with Adaware and Spybot 2 exceptional programs I might add and both FREE.
So if any of you computer wizards have any idea's let me know.
Thanks a bunch

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your joystick needs to be calibrated?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dang that game is old

Posted Image

it does not appear to be 100 percent xp sp2 compatible

http://www.glidos.net/descent.html

they have a videodriver wrapper that is supposed to improve descent 2 anyway

7AirCavMan

7AirCavMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes the game is old.
I am no spring chicken either but I kind of like the premise of the game. Newer games use people and it bothers me when I see a bullet ridden program that splatters people parts all over the screen; hence the robot thing for me.

I frequrently recalibrate the joystick. It doesn't seem to correct the problem. I even told the program that a joystick was not connected (and disconnected it too) and the program still responds in a jerky attitude that makes it unwatchable. I will do further research and see what else I can come up with.

Thanks for responding.

I also have another irksome problem. I have Outlook, not Outlook Express and Outlook keeps asking me for my network password, even though I check the box that it's supposed to remember the password the blasted thing keeps coming up. I still get my mail and I can send and everything but it is irksome. It may have to do with the fact that I downloaded a couple of browsers for evaluation. They include Netscape 8.3 (I really like that one!!) Firefox, Opera and lastly Internet Explorer 7 beta version 3. All are nice but I'm caught between Netscape and IE7. IE7 seems to integrate better than any of the others do. I would appreciate any comments you have on this too.