Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General App failure on 98 sys

• Please log in to reply

arpadicblood

arpadicblood

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Firstly let me thank you for the great support you offer.. you guys are outstanding!
I have a friend who is having trouble with his machine.

He is not a member but perhaps you could invite him to be if that is possible.

he is running 98 on a rather old machine and although he doesnt have internet access on that machine this ounds to me like some kinda virus..

this is the email he sent me explaining his problem:

Can't do anything on the PC @ home it has got a problem & don't know how to fix.
The PC boots up but non of the Windows applications work, like Word, Excel, Outlook even the CAD program.

When I try opining a .xls or .doc program, 2 error message comes up consecutively:
1st message that comes up: - "Windows can't run this program because it is in an invalid format".
2nd message that comes up: - "The D:\Microsoft office\Office\MS09.DLL File appears to be corrupt. Reinstall file & try again"

When I try opining Outlook this error message comes up: -
"The D:\Microsoft office\Office\outlook.exe file appears to be corrupt. Reinstall file & try again"

When I try opining up the CAD program error message says: -
1st message that comes up: - "CAD unlicensed" (I know it was a licensed copy.)
2nd message that comes up: - "Windows can't run this program because it is in an invalid format".

I then thought I'll just copy the Doc's to a disk & bring to work to work on. But this also give error messages.

Can U advise. A bit lost with out the dame thing. Don't what to spend too much time on the work PC, they might get the moor in with me.

I managed to get another PC which is running XP, but I can't use it due to what comes up on the monitor is all streaky, I think I need another monitor. Seems as if the monitor I have can't support the XP graphics???. While this PC is booting up I can see all boot up info on monitor, when it starts to load windows I can see the XP logo & the loading bar, which is indicating to me that XP is loading, but after this the screen goes streaky similar to an un-tuned TV.
I'm trying to scrounge a latter model monitor, no luck so far.

if his email: [email protected] cant help you then pls communicate to me what he should do.
You will probably tell him to sign up and then reroute him via a link to the prep page but either way i would really be greatful as would he for some assistance in this regard..

Thanks guys, ur the best, know you will do what you can!
Keep up the good work it really is appreciated more than i think you may know!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's rare these days to get virus infection without internet access unless your friend has used an infected floppy.
File corruption can have other causes such as a power surge or even bad RAM (since the file has to be loaded into memory to open it).

With the degree of file corruption that seems evident, I would first of all advise your friend to re-install Windows from scratch, preferrably after formatting so that it's installed on to an empty disk with no old files to interfere with the new installation.

If errors still ocurring after that, post to the forum again and other suggestions will be forthcoming.

If re-install cures the problem, tell your friend to get a surge-protector socket strip. A worthwhile investment
in my opinion as power surges have been known to wreck hardware.

Edited by pip22, 06 July 2006 - 12:23 AM.

arpadicblood

arpadicblood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot pip...

sounds like good advice.

Will forward it to him and he can apply it.

:blink: Ur the Coolest! :whistling: