Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is the problem with this?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, that is not right. There must be something going on with your laptop.

Continue with these instructions:

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

And if that doesn't work:

Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Make sure you follow the directions at that link EXACTLY. If you do not, you may accidentally format and reinstall Windows, thus losing all your data! There are pictures to help confirm you are proceeding correctly.

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
just a a min ago i tried to reply back & i got this page that said:

Error 500 'www.geekstogo.com' Unknown Host.

i also tried going to a site on the web that i usually go to and it gave a similar page that said NO DATA..
i don't know what's going on...i'm getting those pages alot

ok compwiz...sorry to make u sweat thru this mess :whistling:
so before i do what u want me to do....do i need to close out all programs before doing it??? or can i keep on the internet while i do the check?

i'm feeling so stressed out, i feel like something is eating my laptop...i've only had it since january, i want to throw it out the window NOW!!! !@#$%

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It wouldn't happen to be a Toshiba would it? :blink:

If you've had it since January, my suggestion would be to replace it. It should still be under warranty. :whistling:

If you'd rather not get it replaced, continue with my instructions. CHKDSK cannot run under windows, so after you type that command, it will ask you to run it at the next restart. Tell it yes and then restart the computer.

As for the repair, that is done off of the XP CD. You won't be in Windows at all.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

It wouldn't happen to be a Toshiba would it? :blink:

hahaha wiz, actually it's a gatewayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy does that make it any better?

If you've had it since January, my suggestion would be to replace it. It should still be under warranty. :whistling:

well just the harware is under warranty so u think this is defintiely a hardware issue???

If you'd rather not get it replaced, continue with my instructions. CHKDSK cannot run under windows, so after you type that command, it will ask you to run it at the next restart. Tell it yes and then restart the computer.

so when i do chkdsk, do i need to log off the internet first?

As for the repair, that is done off of the XP CD. You won't be in Windows at all.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
compwiz, decided to do that scan deal (sfc.exe /scannow ) that u initially wanted me to do but didn't work...
today it works, don't know why..
after the scan, it prompted a message:

files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache.
Insert your windows XP professional cdz now

i clicked on option "more info" & it gave a message:

Possible reasons for this problem:

*U have inserted the wrong cd (i.e. a different windows product cd than the version installed

*the cd rom drive in ur system is not functioning

i just canceled everything b/c i don't have the win xp cd this moment, i'll just wait till i get that.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache.
Insert your windows XP professional cdz now

That right there lets me know it is definately an Operating System problem.

Continue with the blue instructions (the ones about CHKDSK) and see if that helps. I doubt it though. It looks like you will NEED the XP CD.

With CHKDSK, it is going to require a reboot after going to Run and typing the command. So yes, exit out of everything and then follow the instructions.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 July 2006 - 08:09 PM.