Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Virus? Help!

• Please log in to reply

bounda

bounda

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
One day while i was searchin the net, i met a strange site. A friend and i were talkin over AIM for a long time and it got late and i was getting tired so i turned off my computer and slept. When i awoke the next morning i turned my computer on and the startup was much longer than usual by at least a half a minute. When everything was done loading, my system32 folder opened without me even doing anything. I hit alt+ctrl+del and found many new programs running in the background. I used my copies of spybot s&d, Adaware SE, Avast!, and BitDefender to remove whatever they found. I also ran Registry Mechanic to see if there was anything wrong with the registry. Once everything my programs could find were removed, I got a popup with the title Microsoft Internet Explorer, and it read You may not be able to use Active X Controls on this page. it had an Ok button and an x at the top left. I xed it out. Turns out it requested access to the internet, i disallowed it with BitDefender. Still, my computer sits at the welcome screen for an extra long time when starting up, and there is grey behind the text on my icons on my desktop. The system32 folder also opens at startup, still. I need help fixing all of these errors, and it would be very helpful if you contributed.

(fixed system32 folder problem)
/edit the box says Your current security settings prohibit using active x controls on this page. BTW im using firefox, and havent used explorer in a long time

:whistling:

Edited by bounda, 05 July 2006 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

bounda

bounda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
wow, i found many forms of malware with the programs in that post. thing is the grey boxes behind my icons isnt going away!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Continue on to post the HJT Log in the malware forums so they can help you with it

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Make sure you post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum, so we can help you finish cleaning up. :whistling: