Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random lockups and restarts

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after you burn the floppy or cd ...just put one in the cd drive or floppy drive and reboot..run the tests for a couple of hours...see if you have any memory errors

Windows Installation

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed. The test image may be loaded from a floppy disk or may be loaded via LILO on Linux systems. Any Unix, Windows or DOS system may be used to create a boot floppy or bootable CDROM.

Edited by happyrck, 06 July 2006 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have your system or memory overclocked..?

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

do you have your system or memory overclocked..?

no and no

I'm running Memtest right now and I have over 500,000 errors and counting. How do I know where the memory problem is? Right now it is running test #5 [block move, 64 moves] testing 108k - 1023m is this the L1 cache L2 cache or the ram stick?

Edit: 600,000 errors and counting

(posting from wife's computer)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we have found the problem

you can stop the test...escape I think stops it...if you have more than 1 stick of memory remove all but one...test it...if it passes remove it and try next stick..find bad sticks and remove and replace with new memory

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm having trouble connecting to geeks to go..its not my end

Edited by happyrck, 06 July 2006 - 08:11 PM.

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

we have found the problem

you can stop the test...escape I think stops it...if you have more than 1 stick of memory remove all but one...test it...if it passes remove it and try next stick..find bad sticks and remove and replace with new memory

Are you certain it is the actual stick of ram and not the L1 cache or the L2 cache?

Unfortunately I only have 1 stick of ram... does that make it easier to tell what the problem is? Because if it is definitely the stick of ram then it definitely has to be that 1 stick of ram?

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Another question . . . Why does it sometimes lock up but other times restart? Today, the computer has restarted like two or three times. Is that still the same problem, the RAM? If so, how does it decide whether it wants to lock up or restart?

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Bump. Can anyone answer the last couple questions? I've ordered new RAM from TigerDirect (Ultra brand, which has always done well for me in the past), but I wanna be sure that'll do the trick.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I tried to answer but was having a problem connecting to geeks to go... 1..I am 95% certain its the memory and not the cpu causing the problem...2...Ram will/can cause both those problems...did you go thru crucial's memory upgrade test to be sure you are getting the right memory for your mobo..?

Edited by happyrck, 08 July 2006 - 11:10 AM.

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, I have the new RAM, so now it's just a matter of seeing if there are no more lockups. I'll report back as soon as I know.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is the memory you have to use for that mobo ...ASUS M2N-E

DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64

http://www.crucial.c...CT2KIT6464AA80E

Edited by happyrck, 10 July 2006 - 05:11 PM.

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah, I know, I got the correct RAM. Just got a similar kind to what was in there, and double-checked using this memory advisor tool from a web site that tells you that kind of stuff.

Anyway, it's in and everything is working nicely. My programs are running at the same time without locking up the computer anymore (namely Sims 2 and Azureus, which was a nasty combo before and thus a good way to test). It appears that the issue is resolved! Thanks a ton!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:whistling: your welcome