Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High cpu useage on wireless network

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just set up a wireless Linksys router on my network. My desktop is hardwired to it and my laptop with xp pro sp1 is connected wireless. It works great except for the high cpu useage on the laptop. Services.exe is hogging a lot of cpu and the fan on the laptop keeps coming on. When I unplug the wireless adapter the cpu goes back to idle (1-5%) and the fan stays off.

I'm wondering if sp2 will solve this problem. Any ideas?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
High is 40-100%....continually oscilating between 40 and a 100. I swept the machine for virus's, trojans and spyware and found nothing. When I disconect the wireless adapter, cpu goes down to 1-5%.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You don't have a bunch of stuff checking for updates like jusched.exe or realsched.exe etc... ? Maybe you need to make your page file a little larger. More memory? What does a Hijack log show?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into some of that stuff. Right now I'm working on a friends xp machine.