Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Run Some Java Apps

• Please log in to reply

Rasman

Rasman

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've done all of the steps in "Start Here", but I still can't get certain Java applications to run. Some will run, but others won't. A tech rep at one of my brokerages recommended I use Add/Remove in the Control Panel to remove Java and then reinstall it, but that didn't work. I also thought that maybe my Norton Internet Security may have been preventing it from running (I know it plays havoc on my Quicken program), but I removed it yesterday and still no luck.

An example is trying to run Trend Housecall. After accepting terms of use, my status bar says image is downloading, but the number remaining in parentheses keeps toggling up and down (17, 5, 10, 17, 13, etc.) and the page never loads.

I don't know if I (or some malware) adjusted my browser settings so certain Java programs can't run, or if there's something in my Windows program that prevents these apps from running. Any recommendations or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Rasman, 06 July 2006 - 12:11 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After using add / remove to uninstall Java, run disc clean up, click view files (downloaded programme files), check the active x controls have been removed

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot

Install Java from here, using the online installer

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the reply. I ran disk cleanup, and when I viewed downloaded program files, I noticed one was damaged. On properties "general" tab, it says it's an Active X control file. Under "dependency", it lists 3 files, and of those, one is damaged (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IUCTL.DLL). I haven't gone any further with your instructions in case I need to deviate from them in order to fix them. In short, what should I do from here? Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it say what the name of the active x is

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Not that I can see, but then I might not be looking in the right place. The graphic next to it consists of the large yellow/red/blue diamond, with the three smaller diamonds to the right. What I have is this:

Type: ActiveX Control

Size: 4KB

ID: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F}

CodeBase: http://v4.windowsupd...7642.5536111111

Version: 5,4,3630,2539

That's all I can find out about it. If there's somewhere else I should look besides under properties, let me know and I'll get the info. Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click here

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Install any critical updates there, then check downloaded files for this

[attachment=9482:attachment]

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Do you mean Downloaded Program Files in the Disk Cleanup? I have an icon that looks like that one, but it says MUWebContol Class, not WU....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can remove the update 4 then

You can run the rest of post 2

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay. I did everything and I've still got the same problem. Just to make sure, I did everything again, only this time cleaned out the recycle bin after doing the prefetch. Also, when I tried to download Java the second time around, I got an error message saying that there was a problem installing JRT on my machine. I've also had problems in the past trying to download stuff - could there be a problem with my download manager?

Appreciate all the help so far.... Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you download the file to install it, or use their online installer

The online installer is OK

Advertisements

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I installed it from the link in post 2.

I've been looking at some websites for some of the applications, and some of them mention a having a selection you can edit under the advanced tab in the Java Console called Java Runtime Parameters. I've never found that in there. Or is there a difference between the Java Console and the Java Runtime Console?

Again, many thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it listed as Java runtime environment 1.5.0.7 in add and remove

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Not in those exact words - it's listed as "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7" in Add/Remove. When I go to Housecall, it tells me I need to Install Java, and it installs "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0", and the program my brokerage uses installs "Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03". So those are the three Java versions I have listed in Add/Remove.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove the one housecall puts in, run housecall with the browser plug in

Rasman

Rasman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm computer-stupid, so I'm not sure what you mean (by using the browser plug-in). When I click on Launch housecall, it begins downloading Java 5.0 - the first prompt I get is when I get asked if I accept the terms of use. I click cancel, and the status bar again toggles up and down on the items remaining to be downloaded.

Are we barking up the wrong tree maybe? I think there's something corrupted in my XP that keeps Java from downloading and running. Should I be looking at doing an XP repair/restore or an IE repair? Thanks!

Edited by Rasman, 07 July 2006 - 10:00 AM.