Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Prevention

• Please log in to reply

sososick

sososick

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
This is sooo frustrating. I don't know what's going on with my laptop, but here's what happened ...

Each time i try to open this specific folder, then play a video from that folder, my computer freezes for 5 seconds, then this window appears (see attachment). When i click close message, the infamous "Send Report" pops up, then i click Don't Send, then it basically closes explorer.exe (my taskbar) then i rerun it. I have no idea why it happens with THAT specific folder. The folder has been on my laptop since i got my laptop, it's a torrent's "Downloads" folder. I've got some videos (NOT p*rn) and a few files (.zips) which have been in there forever.

What have i installed?
2 days ago, i downloaded FREE trials of 2 programs which are "AVI splitters," bascially they split AVIs into smaller videos and whatnot. I'll be honest, i did go to crack sites, but i, ofcourse, got nothing out of them. So maybe it's from them, but read on to know why i can't get rid of "adware". BUT STILL, i duno why THAT SPECIFIC folder doesn't work.
2 weeks ago, i also installed Windows Blinds, along with IconX, Cursor XP, and all that skin stuff, which i just uninstalled cause i thought it would be because of them, but it's still happening.

I tried to scan for adware using Lavasoft's Adaware, and basically it gets stuck in the middle of file 110607 or something, while it shows i have around 190 infected files. I have no idea how to get rid of them since it's getting stuck. I still HAVEN'T scanned for viruses though.

Please help me or i'm going to cry. So bad, like my eyes are gonna turn red.

Geeks forever.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Edited by sososick, 06 July 2006 - 01:37 AM.

Advertisements

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
BUMP! Help please :'(

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay i just scanned for viruses using Avast, and for spyware using Spybot, and it's still not working. I just tried another video, after that "Prevention" window came up, there was this weird Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger asking me to send a report.

PLEASE help. If my info isn't enough, ask me and i'll try my best to provide you with whatever you need.

Edited by sososick, 06 July 2006 - 03:09 AM.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Where's everybody? Can't anyone help? What's going on?

I moved the files in the Downloads folder to a "New Folder" on the desktop, and now each time i open the New Folder, it does the same. I'm guessing it's one of the videos. ANYWAYS, i did System Restore, everything went back to how it was, except for the new folder, it's still lying there on the desktop :S

Aah this is frustrating.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
repeated bumps on the same day resulted in you being ignored. We are a volunteer staff and do are best to respond quickly, but sometimes we have to choose how we allocate our time. Start by going here: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

You will need to post a hijackthis log there. Someone will help you, but as we handle many malware infections it may take 3 days before you start getting assistance. Once you are verified clean, come back here and I will be glad to help you.

While you are waiting on the malware experts have you run a checkdisk on your pc? Go to "my computer". open it and right click on your hard drive. Normally this is drive C. select properties, go to tools. Under error checking you want to select both boxes. once you ok your way out of the program it will prompt you to run checkdisk at next startup. say ok. Restart the pc and run checkdisk.

once the system completes the task. you can go into the event log and look at the results (control panel, admin tools, event log).