Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu to slow

• Please log in to reply

bevel-head

bevel-head

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HI,
I have bought an MSI KT4V motherboard and a AMD 2400+ Athlon chip but it is only running as a 1900+.
I cannot see a jumper to increase fsb speed, the only jumper in the manual is to clear cmos. Why is it running slow?
Any help appreciated.

Bevel-head

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
have you cheaked in the bios to see what the default setting was for the FSB?

troppo

bevel-head

bevel-head

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, FSB default is 100MHz. It can be increased but not by much and it makes no difference. Multiplier is set to 16 giving 1600MHz. I have just set SDRAM to 333MHz in bios but that made no difference either.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
sorry the 2400+ should be running at 2Ghz right? and the 1900+ should be running at 1.6Ghz?

im not to familiar with AMD branding names

well if the 2400+ is supposed to be running at 2.0Ghz then your FSB is to low
to get a speed of 2.0Ghz change your FSB to 125Mhz instead of default 100Mhz.

also can you change your multiplier?

troppo

bevel-head

bevel-head

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can change the fsb ie overclock it but only to 116MHz stable.
I cannot change the multiplier which is already high at 16.
This really has me stumped as the last owner was able to get 2800+ speeds out of it.

Bevel-Head

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well first of all you dont want to increase the multiplier you want to decrease it.

i have heard that the AMD chips can be unlocked unlike the intels.

try doing that what you can do is change the multiplier to 15 and then your fsb to 135 which would give you a clock speed of 2025Mhz or again if you can go further you can get it to 14 and then your fsb at 145 which would give you a clock speed of 2030Mhz

see if you can change the multiplier down a to 14 if not 15 is better than what you have at the moment.

and you could you refer to the speeds in normal terms such as 2.0ghz or whatever it makes it easier to work out speeds thanks

troppo

bevel-head

bevel-head

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Set the multiplier to 15 in bios and it would not boot so I cleared cmos and restarted. Now it tells me it is a XP1800+. Im going backwards!
I think thats the last straw, I will get another motherboard, this one is hopeless.

Bevel-Head