Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help transferring Word doc!

• Please log in to reply

blaise78

blaise78

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
I've posted this query before but can't find the thread, and I've no idea which forum this should really be on but here goes..
I have a Word document stored on a desktop at home, but I want to transfer it to my new laptop, that doesn't have a floppy disk drive. The desktop has no internet connection so I can't burn it using my external driver. I've tried sending it via web based e-mails from other computers that do have floppy disk drives, but it doesn't send it for some reason (I've tried Hotmail, Lycos, Ntl world etc) - can anybody suggest anything??? It's getting really frustrating now.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you sending it as an attachment

Have you tried right clicking it, clicking send to, send to compressed zip folder

Have you tried sending it from here

http://www.spread-it.com/

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
There are many ways...

USB memory stick seems the best solution for you, if your desktop has USB ports...

other solutions might be:
find an internal diskette drive (they're like veeery cheap - if you can't find any for free)
If it's worth it, buy an internal CD burner.
Take your desktop to a friend who has internet connection and send it by mail :whistling:

hope this helps,
greetz

blaise78

blaise78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the replies:
Yes, I've been trying to send it as an attachment. It's strange because when I attach it on hotmail to a message it shows it clearly uploading it, then it says it's done it, then sent it, but when I come to look on the other end, it's never there. I'm unable to try that link you sent right at the moment as 'm at work and not at home but I can try later if you let me know what I'll need to do? Thanks.
Also, what was that about compressing it to a zip folder, what would I do with it once I'd done that?

I bought a USB flash stick but for some reason my desktop just wouldn't accept it, so I had to return it. I usually have problems installing any new hardware on my desktop.

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Another possible solution:

Get your HD out of your desktop and connect it as a slave drive on a computer that has no problem finding USB sticks.

greetz

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From the link, browse for the file, put the e-mail address and upload the file, for the zip folder, send it as an attachment

Have a look at getting and using a Yahoo or other web based account