Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot failure due to previous device

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Recently when I boot up in the morning I get the 'boot failure due to previous device' message. When I check the BIOS settings I see that the primary IDE drive is qualified as 'not installed'. I have reset it to auto but the following day it has the same problem and has reverted to not installed. I have reflashed the BIOS and cleared the CMOS twice (after which the primary IDE drive is recognized but described as 82 GB, it is actually 29.2.) I do not know how to find the info for making these settings specific for this drive but I would have thought that 'auto' would sort this. After clearing the CMOS it does state that the CMOS settings are wrong. When I take the computer into another room to attempt to fix it, it usually boots up. At this time of course all USB devices are disconnected i.e. printer, film scanner, and external drive (usually turned off) flatbed scanner (usually turned off) USB hub. Any clues? :whistling:
Steve

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Put the computer back in its original location. Boot without any other device connected and make sure it works.
Next, connect 1 device. Check if it works.
repeat this process until you can isolate which device gives the problem

greetz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'll buy that, but I will note that a drive that is failing to be recognized consistantly is often a sign of failing circuitry on the drive.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Well it has been confusing. I have tried booting with no additional devices plugged in and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. On one successful boot up I was reading in front of the computer and saw it crash with the boot failure message appearing. I decided to copy my 'c' drive (via Acronis Migrate Easy) to another smaller drive in case it was the drive that was failing and it seems to be fine at the moment so maybe it was due to a faulty drive though that drive was bought new from the shop last year. Thanks for the replies I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve :whistling:

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
If your computer is still crashing without additional devices attached, there might indeed be a problem with HD, motherboard or other internal hardware

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
check if the drive was still under warranty

I've had many drives fail within a year--and I've got a couple of 500mb drives (1/2 gb) that still work great

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, in the hope that you are still following this I thought I would mention that after thinking I had solved the problem I have recently had another crash with the new drive. I suspect that this suggests it was not the original drive but something else. Sometime previous to this problem I had trouble with the system just turning off completely. I found this to be related to the monitor connection to the graphics card, (when I moved it the power came through and it began to boot up). I was told that this could be a faulty card or a bad earth. (The lead had not been loose). I cleaned the card connections with a suggested fluid and it seems to be OK now.
Though this old problem has not happened since I was wondering if you thought this new problem could be related to the graphics card.

Steve