Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bluescreen whilst copying. Kernel memory dump?

• Please log in to reply

ferreter007

ferreter007

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Im having problems when copying and backing up files to my freecom 250Gb external usb hard drive. During the copy process it will flash up a blue screen displaying something about a 'kernal memory dump' then restart my pc. The files that were supposed to have been copied have not all been copied only the ones up to the restart point. :whistling: I could really do with some help with this problem as i need to back up the data on my hard drive as soon as possible. Any information on fixing the problem would be Really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

ferreter007

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G ferreter007

First off, can you please change the following setting :
Control panel ->system->system properties->advanced->startup & recovery.
If the 'automatically restart' box is ticked then please clear it. Hopefully this will prevent windows from rebooting every time & give you a chance to read the error code on the blue screen.

When the blue screen error next appears, can you make a note of the following information & let me know what it is:

* The hex string immediately after the word STOP (STOP 0x00000050 for example)

* If there is a file name given in the line directly below the word STOP, then let me know what it is

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi samm thanks for the quick reply.

after doing what you said i tried to copy some program files accross to my hard drive. Once again the blue screen came up and i noted the numbers after the STOP. there was no file name under it.

Here they are:

STOP : 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x808DE498, 0xAA3115B4, 0x00000000)

hope this can help you work out my problem :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Can you download Everest from this link please :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Run everest then click on Report->Report Wizard. Select Hardware related pages only & create the report as a plain text file. Save the report then email it to me as an attachment please.

storm36@blueyonder.co.uk

DO NOT post the report in the forum.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there
Thanks for the Everest report - it was extremely helpful.

The overriding thing I noticed in the report, is that you appear to have only 500MB of free space on your C drive.
Before we try anything else, I strongly recommend you free up some space on the C drive first. eg empty the temporary internet cache, temp files, any unwanted downloads etc & then defrag it.
Aim to have at least a couple of GB of free space

Also I noticed you have a D drive - is this the external USB drive?

Let me if freeing up the space & defragging solves your problem

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no the d:/ drive is my other hard drive in my laptop. however to free up space on my c:\ drive i need to put stuff on my external drive which is not possible due to the fact the kernal memory screen appears. i will however try uninstalling programs and deleting all unnessary files. thanks for the advice ill get back to you on what happens

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok have made space. now have 3gb free on c:\ drive and 28gb free on d:\ drive. Also have 32gb free on external hdd.

am still getting the problem. have defragged all of them and no change. :whistling:

has anyone got any suggestions? thanks

ferreter007

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Try the following things to see if they make any difference :

1. Before copying files to the external drive, disconnect the other USB devices (i.e printer & memory stick)

2. Go to Start->Run and type devmgmt.msc <OK>
Expand the USB Host controller branch then double click on USB Root hub. In the Power Management tab, clear the checkbox labelled 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power'. Click OK.

NB If this doesn't make any difference then please re-enable this setting otherwise you'll find the laptops battery life is reduced.

3. I looked on Sonys website & there appears to be a bios update available for your laptop. You have version R0080J1. Version R0084J1 is available. It may be worth updating your bios to this.

One more thing - it could be another program or driver thats causing the problem. If you go to Start->Run & type msconfig <OK>
Click on the Startup tab & let me know whats listed in there. (If any particular program has multiple entries in that list, just let me know what the program is instead of listing every entry for it)

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi samm,
have done all you suggested. i had nothing else connected to a usb port when i tried and it still displayed the blue screen. i did notice however that it has changed. i think it is giving new error messages which i will get for you next time it does. (probably very soon :blink: ) i have 5 USB Root Hubs in my device manager but i switched the power check box for all of them and it still crashed. i also upgraded my bios. and im sure you can guess the next point....it still crashed. :whistling:

here are the startup programs;

Apoint
ICO
SPMgr
ISBMgr
VAIOUpdt
pdservice
Acrotray
*this is blank*
SsAAD
KHALMNPR
jusched
PUPXPTWK
VCDDaemon
iTunesHelper
qttask
ashDisp
CloneCDTray
outpost
feedback
NeroCheck
MsnMsgr
pg2
VoIPVoice Integration
msmsgs
ctfmon
TeaTimer
NMBgMonitor
AdobeUpdateManager
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Logitech SetPoint
Microsoft Office
TabUserW.exe
Adobe Gamma

hope this helps

ferreter007

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Can you go back to msconfig->startup list please & clear every checkbox except for ashdisp & outpost. (This will leave your Avast & Outpost functional.)

Reboot the system when prompted.
After reboot, try to copy files across to the external drive again.
Afterwards you can go back & recheck the boxes in the startup list.

Let me know if the file transfer was successful this time. If it was, we will have to determine which of the startup programs is causing the problem.

Edited by Samm, 29 July 2006 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok. it still comes up with the blue screen however it displays nothing about a kernel memory dump. something like 'an internal error occured and windows was shut down to be protected' im not sure i have not made a note about it yet.

this is really confusing me :whistling:

:blink:

thanks samm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, no worries. You can re-enable the entries in the startup tab now.
At least we know its not any of the startup programs thats causing the problem. I suspect therefore, the issue is with either hardware or drivers.

Can you go into the bios please? (Power on the laptop & press F2 key several times in quick succession as soon as you see the Vaio logo appear).
Once in the bios, have a look for any setting relating to Bios shadowing or video shadowing (may be referred to as caching). Its unlikely as Sony tend to use very stripped down bios's but have a quick look. If you do see either of these settings, disable them.

Basically the error you are getting suggests a memory violation (ie when a device or software tries to access an area of ram thats already in use or been allocated to another device).

Do you get blue screen errors or crashes at any time other than when copying files to the external drive?

Also, what sort of size are the files you are attempting to copy?

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ive checked all the bios and there does not seem to be anything that enables me to enable/disable shadowing or caching. Yes it only appears when i use the external hard drive and only on this computer. I can connect it to any other computer and it works fine.

the file sizes vary. to small ( a few bytes when trying to install programs to run off it such as photoshop or 3d studio max) or big (3.4gb) in just one file. It seems to be when a certain speed or size is met at one time that it crashes. When installing photoshop it seemed to always stop at around 9%.

is there any way i can stop this? im sure caching/shadowing is turned on however as im sure it flashed up on the screen before the bios setup loaded.

thanks

ferreter007

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tried (a) connecting the external drive to a different USB port? (b) disconnecting all other USB devices, including the mouse before attempting to use the drive?

Out of interest, how is the external drive set up? i.e single or multiple partitions? NTFS or FAT32?

Can you re-create the error & make a note of the time it occurs (use the time as shown by the clock in Windows). Next, go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Event Viewer
Click on the system branch, locate the entry or entries that correspond to the time of the error & make a note of them (Type, source, event ID). Right click on the event & select properties, & let me know what it says in the description box.

Repeat this for the Application branch, although you might not find anything in there that corresponds to that particular error & time

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok have tried using a different port and unplugged everything from the other usb ports...it crashed again.

its fat32. here is the description from the box;

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 808de498, parameter3 aa011568, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

i did not find anything in the application tab of the event viewer.

hope this helps