Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen whilst copying. Kernel memory dump?

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi, apologies for the delay in replying.

First off, you originally reported the STOP error as being 0000008e. In your last post however, you have put 1000008e. Are you getting both of these errors or was one a typo?

Advertisements

adrian22

adrian22

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hello im havein a problem with my pc ive just installed xp pro and isnt detecting any sound and audio devises im trying to play cd and it comes up with errors that there was no audio devises detected

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G adrian22

We can help you with your problem but first could you start your own topic please? It gets rather confusing if we have to deal with more than one set of problems per topic!

Thanks

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
as i copied and pasted i dont think there has been a typo..which means i believe i am now having both error messages. thats news to me i didnt realise the one...next time i will check though

do you want me to pm you my hijak this log?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
PM or email it, whichever is easier. Cheers

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
emailed it to the same address as the everest report

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, cheers

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, your hijack log looks fine - lots of things running in background but nothing suspicious.

Can you back to the bios & have a good look for a setting called 'Legacy USB' please. It may or may not exist. If you do find it, let me know what its set to (i.e enabled or disabled)

Also, re. the STOP error, I know I asked you this originally with the first error message but could you also check the 10000008e error as well - check again for a file name following the error code. This may be a .sys, .dll, or .exe file for example. I'm sure you should find something listed there.

Edited by Samm, 06 August 2006 - 07:41 PM.

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi samm.

checked my bios and there is no 'legacy usb'. next time there is an error il go through the same process as before to get the error codes for you

once again thanks for all your help and effort

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

hi samm.

Once again thanks for all your help and effort

No worries :whistling:

There's one more thing you can do for me which may prove useful - (as I refuse to use XP unless I have to, these instructions are correct for Windows 2000 but should work in XP as well).....
  • Open Administrative Tools (should find this in control panel and/or start menu -> Programs)
  • Double click on Computer Management icon
  • Click on the System Information branch in the left pane to select (or highlight) it
  • With 'System Information' highlighted on the left, right click on it once then select 'Save as text file' from the drop down menu.
  • This will take a few seconds to compile
  • Once done, email the text file to me as an attachment please

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I have a horrible suspicion that the instructions I gave you in my last post won't work in XP, in which case ignore them completely.

Instead, download winaudit from here:
http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

Run winaudit
Click on the options icon & make sure every checkbox is ticked except for 'find files'
Click on the Save icon & save as a web page (HTML only)
Close winaudit then email the html audit file to me as an attachment please

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok have sent my winaudit report to the email address i sent the hijackthis and everest report to.

hope it helps as im still having this stupid problem

ferreter007

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
Apologies for the long delay - I had to go away suddenly & haven't been able to get online

Re. the audit log:
Unfortunately, the audit logs you sent weren't any good (my fault, not yours). Can you create them again but this time create them as text files instead please. Email as before

Thanks

ferreter007

ferreter007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok have emailed the .txt winaudit report to your email address

thanks

ferreter007 :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks for the report - it came out fine this time.

I'm particularly interested in the D drive. You said a little earlier on in this thread that you freed up some space on the drives (3GB free on C drive, 28GB free on D & 32GB free on the external drive).
Are these figures still pretty much accurate?

Re. the external drive, you said it was formatted with FAT32 so I assume you mean that drive letter E is a single 250GB FAT32 partition, right?
As you also said these was only 32GB of free space on the external drive, I assume therefore it has over 200GB of data on it. Is this correct?

Also, when you attempt to copy files to the USB drive, are you copying mainly from the C drive or the D drive, or is it a mixture of the two?

Edited by Samm, 18 August 2006 - 03:15 PM.