Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP1 won't update to SP2

• Please log in to reply

Molo

Molo

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,
I am working on my mom's computer, trying to resolve a few issues. The first one is that when I try to download and install XP SP2, it will download but will not install, installation fails. Second problem is this thing is so slow, it's not even funny. I can't figure out why it's running so slow. If there is anyone that can help, it would be greatly appreciated by my dad,lol, since mom wants a new computer instead of fixing this one.

Thanks,
Molo

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs that might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

also

Open c:\windows\windowsupdate.log in notepad, choose Edit > Select All from menu, hit the DEL key. Save the file. Visit Windows update again. After failure, ATTACH (do not copy and paste) the c:\windows\windowsupdate.log to your next post and someone will come along and help you.

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,
says I can't upload a file with that file extension

trying to send windowsupdate log

Thanks,
Molo

ps: also says that regarding HJT log

Edited by Molo, 06 July 2006 - 11:27 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
zip the files into a compressed file and attach

or right click and choose SENDTO > COMPRESSED FOLDER

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Howdy,
Ok, here is the HJT

Thanks,
Molo

Attached Files

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Howdy again,

Here is the windowsupdate log

Thanks,
Molo

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download the microsoft installer 3.1 and install it

http://www.softwarep...ninstallnt.html

what is odd is that windows update should install that first, but your log says you have the wrong file....odd

try windows update again after a reboot

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello again,

I did what you suggested and it would not install SP2 again. I'm attaching a new windowsupdate log.

Thanks,
Molo

Attached Files

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I cked the history on the update to SP2 thru windows update and it showed an error code: 0X80240017

Also, don't know if this will be relevant, but this problem regarding update to SP2 started in April of last year

Thanks for all the help,
Molo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, that does not make sense if I understand that error message correctly

Do this

Start > Run, type
services.msc
<enter>

Right-click the Automatic Updates Service
Click Stop

open my computer and naviage to
c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Right Click the SoftwareDistribution folder
Select rename from the Menu
Rename the folder to OLDSoftwareDistribution and click Enter

Start > Run, type
services.msc
<enter>

Right-click the Automatic Updates Service
Click START

Starting the service will take a moment...

Reboot. Visit Windows update again

Advertisements

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Gerry,
Before I do what you have suggested in the previous post, I wanted to let you know, that Microsoft finally got back with me regarding this same issue about not wanting to update to SP2. MS guy sent me a link to download the whole SP2 onto the C:/ and then wanted me to install it in safemode. I did this yesterday evening and YEAH it worked. I've also download all updates to the SP2 and it seems to have sped the system up. It makes me wonder if her SP1 was corrupted in some fashion to cause it to slow down so much and not want to upgrade to the SP2, especially since it has been trying since April of last year. I appreciate all the help you have given to me regarding these issues. I'm sorry if I've seemed impatient, my mom keeps asking me everytime I talk to her if it is fixed yet and I keep telling her it's gonna take some time.
Thank you so very much from me and my mom.

Also, I need to ask before I let you go, can you help me remove "The Simes Deluxe Edition" without the disk. My neice had installed it on this computer and now that my mom wants it off, we can't find the disk and everytime we go into the add/remove programs and try to remove it, it asks for the disk. Can you help or do I need to post this in the Games section?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
Molo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you know, I would still consider doing as suggested earlier as something is not right in there...but if you don't want to, I guess it's not worth getting worked up over.

as for sims, without the cd, you will need to do it manually.

I cannot recall exactly where Sims installs...c:\program files\sims or c:\program files\eagames\sims or something else. I know you can easily find it by how much space it takes up using a program like spacemonger

http://www.sixty-five.cc/

after you remove the files, you can remove the entry in add/remove control panel by opening the registry editor

start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

beneath here you will find a key for the SIMS, just right click the folder and choose delete.

Finally, start > all programs, and right click the SIMS folder in your start menu

This will remove almost everything from the sims...it sprinkles some registry settings here and there, and a few files in c:\windows\system32, but they will be basically inactive and will not cause you any grief beyond taking a little space.

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Gerry,
I wasn't sure if I needed to do what you suggested, but I will, because you have suggested that I should do it anyway. I appreciate it very much. And I will try to remove the Sims game.

Thanks again,

Molo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the only drawback to what I suggest is you loose your windows update history...note: this does not mean you must redownload your windows updates, it only means that when you click on VIEW PAST UPDATES on windows updates, that the history window is blank

Molo

Molo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

as for sims, without the cd, you will need to do it manually.

after you remove the files, you can remove the entry in add/remove control panel by opening the registry editor

start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

beneath here you will find a key for the SIMS, just right click the folder and choose delete.

Gerry,
Just wanted you to know that I did what you suggested earlier and I downloaded spacemonger and deleted the sims from there. As I was trying to remove it from regedit, I did not find it where you said it was located but found it in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ App Paths \ Sims.exe

Do I need to delete that one instead?
Also, I attempted to go into add/remove and delete the Sims from there, but got an error code, I took a picture of it and it will be the attachment on this post, can you tell me what I've done wrong, because as far as following your instructions, I have done so to the letter.

Thanks again,
Molo

Attached Files