Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts

• Please log in to reply

ykanaa1

ykanaa1

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'd appreciate any suggestions for fixing my laptop - it was working fine and i suspect no viruses, and best buy did a diagnostic to determine no hardware problems, so i was told a software glitch is to blame. My laptop will restart on its own after a few minutes of being on, sometimes it will open up a blue screen, but it seems to be working fine in safe mode. What could be the problem and is there an easy way to fix it instead of having to reinstall windows? I'd rather not lose data or have to reinstall other programs, or pay 100$+ if there is a better solution. Thanx!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ykanaa1...

Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr and click "Ok". In the left pane, click on "Applications". In the right pane, look for any red error notifiers that occur at the time of the crashes. List a few of them here for me.

wannabe1

ykanaa1

ykanaa1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm running EventVwr in safe mode. First red flag contains this info:

7/23/2006 Source: Automatic update sc
Time: 11:54:17 am Category: scheduler events
Type: error Event ID: 101
User:nt authority\system

This doesnt have a red flag, but I noticed the following message:

Date: 7/3/2006 Source: ISService
Time: 11:49 AM Category: None
Type: Information Event ID: 1
User: NT authority system
Description: the description for event ID (1) in Source (ISService) cannot be found. TH local computer may not have the necessary registry info or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

This was a yellow warning:

Date: 7/3/2006 Source: Userenv
TIme: 10:18:06 AM Category: none
Type: Warning Event ID: 1517
Description: Windows saved user TOSHIBA-USER\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during logg off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often cause by services running as a user account. Try configuring the srevices to run in either the localservice or networkservice account

This was the last day my laptop worked properly:

Date: 6/23/2006 Source: Application Error
Time: 3:17:05 PM Category: none
Type: Error Event ID: 1000
User: N/A
Description: Faulting applicatoin nmain.exe version 103.0.2.10.faulting module ascompbr.dll, version 2005:1.2.6, fault address 0x00009179

same at 3:15:52 PM and 3:15:13 PM

Before then, LiveUpdate had all these red errors:

Date: 6/23/2006 Source: automatic liveupdate sc
Time: 8:08:19 AM Category: Scheduler Events
Type: Error Event ID: 101
User: NT AUthority System
Description: Internet Connection not detected

This was the only other red error message I found not associated with LiveUpdate.

Date: 6/11/2006 Source: Application Hang
Time: 4:00:13 PM Category: (101)
Type: Error Event ID: 1002
User: N/A
Description:
Hanging Application IEXPLORE.EXE version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000

I hope this helps. Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some of these errors are known to be caused by the Blaster Worm. You might have a run through our Malware Forum or google up a Blaster Removal tool to see if this is the case.

ykanaa1

ykanaa1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I went ahead and ran Norton's blaster worm removal tool on my computer without resorting to switching to safe mode, the computer held out that long, but after I ran the tool, it said that it did not find the blaster worm on my computer. I ran a full norton antivirus sweep afterward and since then my laptop seems to be working fine. Is my problem resolved or is the worm (or virus or software problem, etc) still latent in my computer? Should I be worried about this?

Appreciate all your help...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It really wouldn't hurt to have our malware experts have a look...they are the best on the net!

ykanaa1

ykanaa1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thats the next step. No choice - laptop was running fine all day till I checked in on it now and found a blue screen with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time restart....if appears again... follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8...

Technical Info:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x80563c31, 0xf6cfa98c, 0x000000000)

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete
contact your system administrator ... for further assistance.

I'll submit a query to the malware guys - hope this is resolved soon!

Thanks wannabe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...that error screen may indicate a corrupt system file or files. Try running System File Checker.

Click Start, then Run, type sfc /scannow and press "Enter". You may be asked for your installation cd during this process.