Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB not working correctly.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

arabcamel

arabcamel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
hello. I have a sony vaio pcg-v505bx. the hard drive had a malfunction and was replaced by best buy under warrenty. I got it back and loading everything on it with my drivers and I curretly have windows xp pro SP 2 on it. For some reason, when i add a usb 2.0 device such as my flash drive or external HD, i get a yellow ballon pop up saying that this device can perform faster with usb 2.0. do i have to enable high speed somewhere as its only functioning as usb 1. Or am I missing something? please help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this

To Enable USB 2.0:

1. Reboot (or power on) system.
2. Press "F2" or delete during POST (Power-on Self Test) to enter system BIOS setup program.
3. Select "ADVANCED" menu using arrow (left and right) keys.
4. Select "USB Configuration" and press <enter>.
5. Enable "High-speed USB".
6. Press "F10" to Save & Exit BIOS setup program. ( Hi-Speed USB 2.0 controllers are now enabled and your operating system should detect New Hardware during the next normal boot cycle.
7. Cancel "New Hardware Found".

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I tried to go into the BIOS setup, I went to ADVANCED, but there was no "USB configuration" for me to change. I think that has something to do with the fact that when i go to device manager I see "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" under "other devices with a yellow question mark. what does that actually mean and what should I do to fix it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...s...=120295&hl= <- duplicate