Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply

JayW

JayW

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My system started to slow down recently, so I made sure that my virus scan, spyware scan and Adware scans were all completed. Then I restarted the computer, and received a message tht the Dell Monitoring System had detected that drive 0 on the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of the normal specifications. It advised me to take an immediate backup and replace the hard drive.
I tried to run Chkdisk on the C drive, and it came up with numerous errors, along with an 'unspecified error'. So I'm sure that the drive is going bad.
I am running Windows XP Home, with SP2. In addition to the 60 GB C drive, I have a second internal hard drive installed that I use for my data files. It is partitioned into 2 partitions, the F drive is where I store my data, and the E drive is currently empty(30 GB available).
What I think I need to do is to copy the C drive (20.3 GB are being used) to the E drive, and then change whatever needs to be changed so that my system boots up from the E drive. Then I could replace the C drive and reverse the procedure to get back to where I am today.
Does this make sense, and if so, what can I do to copy the C to the E drive, and how do I change the system to boot from the E drive?
Thanks for any help.
Jay
*** The C drive File system is NTFS, and the E & F drive file system is FAT32. I don't know if this would complicate the process or not.

Edited by JayW, 06 July 2006 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sure sounds like a lot of trouble just to replace the primary HD. You can replace the bad drive in about a hour. Usually a data cable plug, power supply plug and the 4 screws that hold the drive in the case. Reinstall windows and go get the drivers you need. It would be a good idea to look in device manager for what hardware you have so you can find the drivers. Running Everest home edition would also tell you.

If you don't really know what your doing trying to get the computer to boot off the E drive you can be in for a nightmare. you will be a much calmer person doing it the easy way by replacing the C drive.

SRX660

JayW

JayW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the advice. But I don't have a CD for Windows XP-I traded in my old computer that had Win 98 at a repair shop for this one, and they didn't give me a CD. is there another way that I can reinstall Windows?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
No, there isn't another way. You need a windows install cd or a system recovery cd. You said this is a Dell. Have you contacted the place you got it from and asked for the recovery cd? Have you contacted Dell to get a recovery CD? There should be a COA sticker from Microsoft on that computer if it has a legitimate OEM windows install on it.

Edited by austin_o, 07 July 2006 - 06:55 AM.