Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp Restarting alot pleez help

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
hi guys recently ive been having an amazingly unusual and annoying problem with my pc. It restarts randomly and i dont know whats causing the restart to occur. Also when i leave my computer on to download a big file i turn off my moniter. When i come bak to use the computer and turn on the moniter it restarts!! IM really confused as to why it restarts when i turn on moniter. Can the problem be overheating. Some times it just restarts while im playing a game. I dont know what to do but can someone help.
PS : i have just reinstalled windows and formatted my drives so its not a virus.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Do you get any blue screens or does it just restart? Make sure "restart on system failure" is off. Right click "My Computer" then "Properties" then the "Advanced" tab click on "System Failure and Recovery" then uncheck "restart automatically"

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes recently i started getting dark blue screens after it restarts something about hardware but i dunno what device is screwed?
screen says your comp has error ************* or it has been stoped for its own protection etc

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Write down the information given on the blue screen and post back.

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
are there any red X's in microsoft event viewer?

To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer

let me know what you see.

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
well i did reinstall windows after formatting C drive and then used mcaffee to check for viruses so its not a software problem.
I checked even viewer and there were a lot of red X's as u said. They were a lot of them in succession of the same type.
THere were 3 types of errors
The error description said "the device, /device/cdrom0, has a bad lock and the Source was "cdrom"
THe error waz "the device, /device/ide/ideport0, did not respond within the timeout period and the source was "atpi"
the error was "your computer has lost the lease to its IP adress ******** on the network card with the network address *****" and the souce waz "DHCP"

The cdrom error came about 20-25 times the dhcp error only came once and the atpi error came about 5 times.
Hope this helps.