Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell dimension 4700...driver problems?

• Please log in to reply

getadell?

getadell?

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK im working on a dimension 4700 for a friend.
I formated reinstalled a fresh copy of xp home. When i booted up i could not get on the net.
The video seemed slow. I went to the dell website put in the pc service code.Downloaded the drivers they give for the machine. And they seem to do nothing at all. Do i need a motherboard driver first? i cant find one anywhere. To get net i had to put in my own network card. And boom i had net instantly.
I looked for hours for drivers that would work. Video audio ...etc after installing them there seems to be no change at all. :whistling:
I do have the computer up and running. But im not sure why some of the onboard things dont work or work poorly. Later today im meeting my frined again and he will test it. To let me know how its running compared to how it was before. I would really like to be able to take my own card out and use what is supposed to be working in there...

any help will be greatly appretiated.. :blink:

Advertisements

getadell?

getadell?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
also he has lost or borrowed out all the discs that came with the machine.
was thinking of going to a dell shop? maybe they can give me what i need?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You can find out the make/model of the motherboard and on board components using Everest Home Edition. Get it at http://www.majorgeek...tion_d4181.html
Once you know what you have, then try getting drivers. Everest will have links shown in the report, and these sometimes work. If worst comes to worst, there is always Dell tech support! They should be able to replace his system restore/driver disk although they may charge a fee for it.

getadell?

getadell?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great! Thanks alot for the help...when i go over ther on wednseday ill give it a go. :whistling:
Never had trouble like this getting drivers. :blink:
But with good info it always gets done.