Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Setup Wizard

• Please log in to reply

lewisaur.tk

lewisaur.tk

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have a network at home.
the main computer is upstairs with the broadband internet connection, which runs through a hub to 3 other computers downstairs.

The connection works fine, the only problem is, everytime i start the main computer (upstairs) up, i have to run the network setup wizard before the other computers will share internet/files, once i have run it, there will be no problems untill i have to restart the main computer, then i will have to run the wizard again.

It never used to be like this, i used to just have to turn the main computer on, and then the it would automatically share internet/files.

Please help as i want it to be like it was.

Thanks

APL

(all computers are running winXP home SP2, with one running WinXP media centre edition 2005)

Advertisements

morjo

morjo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Are the ip addresses being assigned automatically???

If so the best thing to do is assign the Ip address, subnet, gateway and dns manually to each computer.

My pc's used to drop out too, once i entered the info in manually they stopped dropping out, now however if 1 PC drops out i usually turn my hub off and on , then they will be back on.

Hope this helps

lewisaur.tk

lewisaur.tk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
what do i assign them to, anything in particular

APL

morjo

morjo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
well i can see what ip address are being assigned automatically and then put them in manually so any 192.168.0.3 etc, if thats the address of ur network. Any last number will do. The subnet is 255.255.255.0, the gateway should be 192.168.0.1(the machine with internet access) the dns should be 192.168.0.1 and also the DNS ip of ur isp, which can usually be found out by opening command prompt and typing in ipconfig /all

that should do it

morjo

morjo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
did you get them working?

lewisaur.tk

lewisaur.tk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well i did i\what you said, and it madethe network not even work anymore, so i played around for about 2 hours and nothing happened, then i finnaly got it back to the original and still had to run it today

morjo

morjo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, i guess it must be something else, but my whole network is manually assigned and it never drops off.

Hmm if its not too much trouble and you cant get the solution from anywhere the thing i would do is format the main computer. there should be no reason why u need to run the network setup wizard again.

have u checked all devices have the network cable securely in them??
try adding one of the pc straight to the network adapter instead of going through the hub

i really suggest trying to manually put the ip addys in.

if u go into the cmd promp and type in "ipconfig /all" and paste it here i will tell u the ip settings for the other machine......your not suppose to change the settings on the pc upstairs