Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed with newly reset pc

• Please log in to reply

mr_blonde

mr_blonde

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, as I'm giving my old PC to my parents I wanted to reset it back to its original factory settings thus getting rid of all my crap easily. The PC is about 3 years old and is made by Medion, it's one of those Aldi PC's.

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows XP, thinking that would be it done but now i've encountered a few problems. Originally the hard drive was partitioned into 3 (c,d and e) but now there is only c which to be honest i'm not that bothered about.

The main problems are that it's no longer recognising the modem, when you go to connect it just says the modem can't be found, it may be in use, turned off or not properly installed. Another problem is the card reader slots no longer show up at all under my computer. Lastly the keyboard seems to be all mixed up i.e. instead of getting @ I get " and vice versa along with loads of others.

I found a driver disk which had a driver on for the modem but when you choose have disk and find the driver no modems appear on the list to choose from so can't continue with the installation. I also thought i'd installed the card reader stuff but it seems I haven't.

I'm not technical at all so can't think of what to do now.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most Medion PCs come with a recovery CD, this sorts out issues like modems not working and what not.

If not, you'll have to Google the internet to find drivers to make those devices work, as Medion have decided that you need to register your PC with their software on their website before you can download from it. But as it sounds like you've used a standlone XP CD, that software won't be there anymore.

mr_blonde

mr_blonde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry multiple post, Can't figure out how to delete this.

Edited by mr_blonde, 08 July 2006 - 12:27 PM.

mr_blonde

mr_blonde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, with regard to the drivers I have a support cd with them all on and have even downloaded all the available ones from the medion website. However as they're .sys files I can't just double click them as the PC says it has no programs to open them with.

So I went in to control panel ->phone and modem settings -> then went to add a modem. I'm then presented with the option of selecting a modem from a list (which are all just standard modems with different numbers i.e. 54000). There is also a button which says have disk so I clicked that and found the driver on the cd. However when I selected this and get taken to the screen to select my modem there's nothing on the list so can't click "next" to continue installing my modem. I've tried doing this with all the drivers I have but get the same result.

I then tried selecting the standard modem 54000 and that seemed to install fine. However when I came to connect (I'm still on dial-up at the moment) it says connecting but there is no dial tone and shortly after it just says "no modem detected, make sure the modem is connected and turned on and not in use by another program" or something along those lines.

Also with regard to the card reader, I have run the setup for this from the disk and it seemed to install fine, however they are still not listed along side c:/ in my computer.

Can anyone suggest what to do now?

Thanks