Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrade advice needed

• Please log in to reply

Amanda1107

Amanda1107

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya, first post, so please excuse me if i'm a little nervous.
Ok I've read through a lot of faq's and posts, and I'm still lost. So, I thought id just jump in and ask.
I don't profess to know anything much about computers (your worst nightmare)
But I know enough to get by.

Basically, This is my first and only computer.. ever! Its been brilliant and even now, still hasn't caused any major problems. Other than my son who's just discovered pc games cant play some he wants too.. And now he has me playing them too! ( just a shame his dad cant get near his pc anymore )
Basically I have a 4yr old Time (I heard the groan) computer AMD athlon xp 1800+ ms-6390 motherboard with (and here's the stinger) s3 prosavage DDR integrated graphics. Any games my son wants to play wont work. So I decided to hopefully upgrade or just go for a new system.
But I don't know where to start or what to do. So looking for advice from people who know :whistling:

Not to sure what other information you'd need, but I know I'm expecting a "get rid and get a new one" response.

I understand you have a lot of people to reply to, and appreciate any advice given.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's not worth upgrading that, you'd be better off putting the money towards a newer system (with separate graphics card) and selling your current system in the local paper or stripping it down and selling the individual bits on eBay.

Amanda1107

Amanda1107

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It's not worth upgrading that, you'd be better off putting the money towards a newer system (with separate graphics card) and selling your current system in the local paper or stripping it down and selling the individual bits on eBay.

Exactly what I thought I would hear. Thanks for the advice. Looks like its off to do some more reading up and overtime.

Could anyone give me any advice on buying one? we already have a gaming system, and I dont really want to go out spending that kind of money again. Just something pretty standard, thats more upgradeable over time.

Thanks again
Amanda

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well put it this way: To upgrade that processor to the maximum speed available for that type, it's about £70, plus the cost of the graphics card.

Considering one can buy a new processor and a new motherboard for about £65 and you'll get far better performance out of that than you would upgrading the old one anyway, then you can see why I said what I did.

You should be able to reuse quite a lot of your stuff already in the new system so the cost won't be that high, plus you can offset it by selling the bits on eBay - one guy's junk is somebody else's treasure.

This forum has lots of suggestions for bits you can buy - have a look through the history :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i wouldnt say it entirely not worth it, The processor isnt that bad itll actually run alot of games maybe not the newest but ive got a similar machine downstairs it plays C&C generals no bother and he sims2 crap like that my sister likes and its got a 1600+ we got the same model you have for my grandparents a couple of years ago it works fine it even plays UT2004 on the prosavage although i do hate thepro savage. Im fairly sure you have at least an AGP 4x so you can stick a semi ok gfx card about 4 years ago i put an fx5200 in it which is working fine and they are cheap, a cheap gfx card like a 6200 from nvidia or 9550 would add some life wouldnt be an amazing gamer but alot better than it is now, those will be about £50.

Might be worth it for you if the games you want to play arent that demanding it wont play doom3 based games but it will play hl2 allright and the others ive mentioned.

If you want to play the newest get a new system but wait a while, if you are building or want to build yourself wait till dx10 comes out at around the end of the year, if you are buying wait till the January sales and get something with dx10 and vista.

Amanda1107

Amanda1107

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya, and thank you both for your advice. I think that i'll hang off as you say till january.
Strange but im kinda sentimental about this old thing.
I've had a look at the cards you mentioned and they look like they would do exactly what my son wants, which is a relief to his dad. So maybe i'll go for that, then come January, get a new system and let him have this one all together.
Again thank you both for taking the time to answer me, and help so much.

Amanda