Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

water cooling help

• Please log in to reply

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
i just bought and installed a watercooling kit, the kingwin aquastar 3000 and it so far has been working allright. I have a coupl things id like to adress. First off, they supply you with a small tube of thermal paste, i instead used my own thermal compound, which is OCZ Ultra 5+ silver thermal compound which is 99% silver.SHould i keep the thermal paste i have or switch to the other stuff.

Next, i am currently using distilled water and the antifreeze stuff that they give you in the kit. I Want to change the water and use a thermaltake uv coolant instead becuase it doesnt conduct electricity and from what ive heard cools better, so how would i drain the system to get all the water out

Lastly the kit comes with a heat sensor on it which is monuted on the cpu waterblock, next to the bpu die. It is giving me a temperature reading that is about 5 Degrees C less then what speedfan is displaying and also in my bios, which one should i go by and if the watercooling heat sensor is messed up, what can i do to fix it

thanks a lot for any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...you can use your paste if you prefer that brand..it shouldn't make a difference

second...i would imagine that you could just remove all the blocks and hold them at a height greater than that of the resevoir...this will drain all the liquid from the blocks back i nto the resevoir...then just dump the resevoir and change to the fluid of your choice

third... if the supplied temperature probe is placed between the cooling block and the cpu (which is what you're describing) then it will read a lower temperature than the motherboard sensor...this is because the motherboard sensor is on the bottom of the processor (almost 100%sure on that)...where as the one that came with the cooling system is ontop of the processor and touching the cooling block as well...so not only is the cooling block cooling the processor...but it's cooling the temperature probe as well.... i personally would go with the speedfan or bios info as those sensors are usually reliable...if your temps are within range on both the cooling system probe and the motherboard sensor...then you could take an average of the two temps (or three if bios reports differently) and use that...i always tend to listen to the warmest number....because...if one senser is reporting lower than another sensor on the same component (cpu for example) i'd prefer to react to the warmer temp than the cooler one..just to be on the safe side