Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Photoshop Recognize Memory

• Please log in to reply

ewatterson

ewatterson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Everyone,

I am a graphics/video type of guy person thingy :blink:
I have installed 4 gigs of memory but Photoshop only recognizes a little less than 2 gigs. That exact amount amount of memory that PhotoShop says is available is "1760MB". However the "View system information" option under the "My Computer" window says that I have "3.50 GB of RAM" (I was told that my motherborad would not recognize all 4 gig so...what you gonna do). But I would like to at least be able to use the 3.5 gig that my system recognizes in Adobe Photshop.

I run my own graphics/video business and I need Adobe Photoshop to perform at its top potential for the work I do. Can anyone advise me on what to do to get Photoshop to run faster. I may be willing to design some free business cards (see samples of my work at www.studioeverything.com) for the awesome, intelligent, wise, effective, kind and super (please include every other nice word that can be thought of here) person who can help me.

Any takers on my offer? Would love to hear from you!

Thanks ALL!!!! :whistling:

Eric

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% sure on this one...but i would assume that photoshop is reporting the maximum amount of ram available to IT...not available in the system...i would imagine that photoshop would not grab all available ram for itself as you may need the rest of it for something else (such as the operating system or other software that you may be running at the same time) have you contacted adobe about this?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
dsenette is right. My PS will only let me assign 350MB even though I have 512MB installed. Since Windows and background programs are already using memory, there's no way PS is going to let you assign the whole lot -- it can only 'see' what's left unused.

In your case, therefore, since the disparity is quite wide, I would suggest PS is not the problem. The problem is finding out what's running (apart from Windows itself) that's using approx 1.5GB of RAM so it's not available to PS! Do you have Norton software installed, as that's definitely a known memory-hog? Although even that would not account for all of it, but it certainly won't help.

Edited by pip22, 14 July 2006 - 08:43 AM.