Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

tangerine3

tangerine3

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have Windows XP Pro v. 5.1 with service pack. Lately when I go to shutdown or restart it won't do it. I can see icons on the desktop at random like blinking but the computer will not shut down. I have to push the off button manually. I run Adaware and/or Virusscan about once a month. I also just deleted a toolbar called Viewpoint that I think came with AIM that I use to talk to my friends. Is there any free programs I can run to help solve this problem? thanks Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good read on troubleshooting shutdown problems in XP.

http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnxp.php

SRX660

tangerine3

tangerine3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately after reading the link that you gave me none of it applies to my system. I have not installed any new hardware or software in a long time. All devices are the same as before the problem started occurring.