Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer startup

• Please log in to reply

Marq

Marq

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
my computer has started to run slower when opening programs, the taskbar also freezes when i open MSN, internet explorer, and aim. I believe this problem started when i tried to delete a movie from my computer by right-clicking, the folder window froze with the hourglass pointer. I ctrl+alt+del to end the task and it did, but then it removed my desktop icons and taskbar, so i restarted and tried to delete the movie again and it did the samething. Somewhere along the lines i stupidly decided to end process for explorer.exe. 3rd try, i waited and it unfroze and i was able to delete it. Everything was fine until i started to do a virus scan with Windows Defender and found an adware that caused my computer to crash and blue screen when i tried to delete it (i made a topic about this earlier today). I'm not sure which problem caused my computer to run slow

edit: also, system restore proved to do nothing, for some reason it didnt let me restore to a specific point "restore incomplete", probably i was growing impatient and the system restore window kind of lagged and i clicked next once to many times and it restored to today's date 7/6/06

Edited by Marq, 06 July 2006 - 09:05 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Marq...

Let's hold off on this one a bit until you're finished in the Malware topic. At first glance I'd say that's your problem.

wannabe1