Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have to operating systems on my computer and i want to remove one

• Please log in to reply

kangfish

kangfish

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have to regular windows xp and the media center 2005 operating systems on my computer and i want to remove the media center 2005. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi kangfish...

Twenty questions time... :whistling:

Which is the original operating system?

When you start the machine, are you asked which operating system you want to start?

Open "My Computer" and double click on the "Local Disk C:" drive icon. What folders are shown here?

Open "Control Panel" and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Click on the "Edit" button and copy/paste the contents of the notepad window that opens (boot.ini) here for me.

wannabe1

kangfish

kangfish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The original operating system is windows xp. Yes I am asked to chose from the two systems.

Control Panel Contents
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Under my Computer: There files that I have saved to the c: Drives and Floder I have created. Folder for program files, Documents and settings, Softpaq,Temp, windows.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would appear that Windows XP Home is installed on a second partition with XP ME on the C: partition. This may complicate things a bit if you want to keep the XP Home.

In "My Computer", do you see a "Local Disk C:" and a "Local Disk D:"? If there is a D: drive, does it also contain a Windows folder?

kangfish

kangfish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes the D drive has a windows folder. Sense I installed the media edition the D drive keeps telling me that it was low on space.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In order to accomplish what you want to do, we're going to have to install XP Home on the C: partition...it appears that XP ME is installed there at the moment. Let's double check, though.

Boot into the XP home installation and click Start, then Run, type %windir% and click "OK". Which folder opens...the one on C: or the one on the D: partition? It should tell you in the address field at the top.

kangfish

kangfish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The one on the D Drive.