Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP constant restart at Welcome screen or before

• Please log in to reply

fiscalone

fiscalone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, I am new here. I have owned a few homemeade computers in the past, but now I have a 1 year old and its got problems, and I dont know what to do and not wanting to make it worse.

--It started with a restart when I loaded my comp to the welcome screen. The "found new hardware" screen popped up, but there was no hardware that was new, lol. It just kept doing it over and over, sometimes it would get to welcome screen, sometimes not.
I did system recovery 3 times. I start it in safe mode, and its fine, but i dont know what to look for. I blew some dust out of it, but it looks like there may be a little caking right underneath the fan blades. Although the fan is running and it feels cool blowing out.
The only thing i did recently was install a webcamera, and it did fine and was using it for over a week. anything else on my comp has been there since purchase basically. But wouldnt doing a system restore reset everything??

I would love any help on this. I did look for this topic, but there were so many things i wasnt sure really related to me.

Oh, I also did the "uncheck" of the automatic restart. When I did this it went to a blue screen and it gave me a tech number thing:
0x00007
(0xc0000006 0x80563F43 0xA97D9C78 0xA97D9974
???

Let me know if you need any other info:

Gateway 817GM
Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 530 Processor with HT
200 GB Sata HD
512 MB DDR Dual Channel Memory

Thanks,
Cheri

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Are you sure about the 0x00007?
Could you check?

fiscalone

fiscalone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its actually 0x0000007E, hmm not sure how i got that, I wrote it down right, but typed it wrong

I just now started the comp up again since yesterday evening.
I hit F8 and then i choose deactivate reboot on system failure, that way it will actually hold the message long for me to get it. heres what it says...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0X80563F73, 0xAA076C78, 0XAA076974)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

And thats what I get...

I can get in with safe mode and its good. And therefore im certain i have adequate disk space and the drivers are fine, along with video adapters. The rest i'm not sure.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks Alot!