Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Friend's CD Drive/Burner is down on laptop

• Please log in to reply

Doova

Doova

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, my name is Donovan.

My friend asked me to help get her CD Drive/Burner back up and working. She said it just stopped working alltogether and now it doesnt even recognize there is a drive under My Computer anymore. Please help!! I wish I could go more in detail but there isnt much to say except it doesn't even act like the drive is there anymore. :whistling:

Any help is greatly appreciated! :blink:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try running the CD Gone patch. Go here
http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html

Doova

Doova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey, I tried the patch, and unfortunately it still doesn't recognize the Drive is there :whistling:

The only thing that it has listed in My Computer is the C: Drive. She doesn't have any other type of drives except this one which she needs. If it helps its a CD/CDR/DVD type of player.

Thanks for your attention!

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could check the bios and see if it detects the drive. If you don't see it there, could be that it died and needs to be replaced. Does it open? Can you put in a data cd and see if you can read it?

Doova

Doova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the late reply. I finally got her laptop back from her. She'll be gone for a couple days.

Anyways, how would I go about checking the BIOS? Instuctions please :whistling: