Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Drivers for Speakers!

• Please log in to reply

computernewbie

computernewbie

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have an old Gateway computer with some Altec Lansing Multimedia Computer Speakers with Subwoofer. My computer crashed but I got it fixed (through GeekstoGo) and the speakers that were working no are not. I tried to put a driver on there from the Windows 98 CD. It was a Altec USB Speaker driver, but didn't work. What driver do I need and where do I get it.........If that is the problem with them......

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'll probably need the drivers for your sound card too...do you know how to get into device manager?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm not sure how to get to device manager.....What do I need in the device manager???

Edited by computernewbie, 07 July 2006 - 10:30 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..in device manager you'll be able to see if there are any devices missing drivers....can you go to windows help from the start menu and type in device manager (sorry i'm not on 98 and haven't been in quite some time)

root

root

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
To get to device manager in 98/SE, click on 'Start,' 'Control Panel,' 'Device Manager' or by right-clicking 'My Computer,' selecting 'Properties' and navigating to the 'Device Manager' tab at the top.

There are a couple other great tools that'll tell you everything you could ever want to know (maybe even things you didn't care to know) about your computer. The first is the now discontinued Everest Home Edition and the other is Belarc Advisor. Both are free and extremely useful tools to keep on hand.

After finding out what you have by means of audio, as suggested by dsennette, be sure to check the manufacturer's site for driver downloads.

Best of luck,
Root

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
There were NO drivers listed so I installed some from www.driverguide.com, they don't work....but unlike the other ones, they arn't showing an error in the drivers....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy...again... :whistling:

Download, install, and run Everest on the machine.

Click the "Report" icon on the toolbar and generate a report in HTML format. You should be able to do this with the default settings.

Click the "Save to file" icon on the toolbar and save the report to the desktop.

Send me the report via e-mail. I will PM you with the address.

wannabe1

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I sent the report to the address you gave me...did you get it??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep, I got it. :whistling:

The only things it doesn't give me is the model number and serial number...unfortunately, that's how Gateway searches for the specific drivers. Can you please post that info for me?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
System

Gateway 2000 PC

Model Number: ATX Tower
Serial Number: 0006144692

Motherboard

Product: VS440FX
Version: AA666860-407
Serial Number: 503248924

Note: I figured out the computer has a Direct X Sound Card

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go HERE and scan the computer using the Gateway Update link in the right side of the box. The numbers we have aren't coming up as good when searching the driver downloads.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
YES!!! Another problem fixed by GEEKSTOGO!!!! The drivers were successfully installed and I appreciate your help once again wannabe1!!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I love it when a plan comes together!!! :blink:

You're quite welcome... :whistling: