Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About front USB

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hello,
I have a modem connected to a front USB on my PC and whenever I start my PC, the computer does not register that the modem is connected there, so what I have to do is unplug and plug the modem and then it notices it (probably by Plug'n'Play if I understand it). Please, how do I make my PC notice it without replugging every time?

Thanks.

P.S.: There is no problem if I use the back USB, but I don't want to use that, because there ain't any free now. :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some motherboards don't notice what's connected to the front USB connectors until they are "refreshed" by unplugging and replugging. This problem doesn't occur with the USBs on the back of the computer because they are integrated and "refreshed" automatically.

If you have no back USBs left, consider investing in a new separate USB PCI card, or a USB hub which you can sit on top of the computer and essentially acts as extra front panel USB ports.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Or you could consider unplugging something less frequently used from one of the sockets at the back, plugging that in at the front, and plugging your modem into the spare one at the back. For example, you might have a USB scanner plugged in at the back which you only use ocassionally, that would be a good choice to swap round with the modem.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Oh, I thought there could be some settings made in the Device Manager to make my PC notice the modem, but never mind, I never was a hardware geek :blink:

Thanks for the replies :whistling:.