Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to replace clips for Intel heatsink fan

• Please log in to reply

cgacfox

cgacfox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello:
I was cleaning out my computer yesterday with a vac designed for the purpose and was working on the heatsink fan when it dislodged from the processor. I tried to put it back on not really knowing that the thermal compound had failed as well. When my husband got home from work, he said to check with Intel on where to get replacements clips since 1 was broken and two were bent and all needed to be replaced. I am talking about the white plastic pieces that fit inside the black part. Intel was not really helpful at all. I have done some research on the Internet and checked the forums here as well. is there a place to get these replacement parts or do I need to purchase a whole new heatsink fan with new compound? I have a socket LGA775 and for the life of me cannot remember the CPU speed (I think it's a 2.66 Gig) or whether it supports hyper-threading if that makes a difference. I would like to just replace the plastic pieces but if that is not possible, then could someone suggest a good heatsink fan that is easy to clean without messing things up. My computer is housed in my personal office off the floor but there is dust, pet dander, and smoke that gets to it. I try to clean about every month to keep the fans running properly and not have a bunch of buildup. Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It is far easier to just order a new fan than trying to find the clips. This company has never done me wrong and i have bought many items from them.

http://www.directron...l775cooler.html

SRX660