Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer problems

• Please log in to reply

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I cannot get the links to work for other sites when using I.E. Links on emails will not work and I cannot get Microsoft updates to work from the website. I had these problems earlier in the year, I have searched through the old posts to try to find my previous requests for help, but cannot find find them. I have
Windows 2000 professional service pack 4.
I.E version 6 service pack 1.
Outlook Express 6.
Sophos Anti Virus
Microsoft Defender
Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard
Spybot
AdAware SE
Clean Up40
ATF cleaner
CW Shredder
Bazooka
I update at least twice a week, scan three times a week with all. All scans are clear.
I would greatly appreciate any help.
Many thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
what do you mean the links won't work?

Have you tried any other browser?

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When you have a link from an email, you click on it and nothing happens. Also while surfing the web, if you have a link from one web site to another, a page opens but no information appears. I cannot get links to work, i'm having to cut and paste the web addresses. I have Mozilla and Opera and they work fine. Its just I.E and Outlook Express the problems with. I have to get it right again as I use it for my banking.

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Maybe iefix will solve your problem, you can find it here there you can also find info about IEfix.

Thunderbird1988

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thats where the problem is, the link that you have kindly provided for me will not work. I click onto it, a window opens, the egg-timer appears on the cursor and that is it, no page appears. :whistling:

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Can you download IEfix from an other computer, put in on an usb stick or floppydisk and then put it on your computer? what happens if you type or copy this address:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip
in your adressbar? Or can you download IEfix with firefox.

I hope that one of these three suggestions help you to get IEfix.

Thunderbird1988

beav3r

beav3r

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Use firefox, it is 10 times better!

IE is rubbish, when new virusses come out IE users have (9999.00) chance of the virus hitting them!

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have put the address into my address bar and I am getting the same problem that I've had previuously when I try to download this. A message saying ACCESS TO FILE IS DENIED.

I have Mozilla and now Opera and they have gone slower in the last few days as well. All my scans are clean :whistling:

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have tried downloading through Mozilla and the files cannot be found :whistling:

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Im very happy to report that I have got it all working and back to normal by downloading Winsock. Many thanks to you all for your time in posting :whistling: