Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Secondary Drive 0 Not Found on boot-up

• Please log in to reply

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

My computer was running a bit quirky about a month ago. I run CounterSpy paid version and AVG free edition nightly. I also ran Ad-Aware.
My computer seemed better after that but then upon boot up or restart it would stop and display a black screen with the message;

Secondary Drive 0 (the 0 has a slash through it) Not Found.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit the F1 key and it appears to proceed normally but I know that message can't be good...
The computer seems to be running normally but I've only been using it to look at this site or run scans on it.

As above I run CounterSpy paid versiona and AVG free edition nightly.
I've also run CleanUp, Spybot-S+D, Ad-Aware and Ewido.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

I have run Hijack This and and received a reply from Crustyoldbloke which is posted at this link.
He also told me he thought I needed to post in the hardware forum.

http://www.geekstogo...sult_type=posts

Can someone please help, this computer is just about 2 years old and I don't want to lose everything and start again. :whistling:
Thank you for any help.
Respectfully,
Linda McC

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I gather from your post that this is the secondary drive on EIDE channel 0 and it is not found by windows, and you are able to boot normally to drive c primary drive on this channel. Have you checked the bios to see if the hard drive is detected there? Does the drive show up in device manager (start, my computer right click properties, hardware tab, device manager)? Does the drive show up in disk management (start, my computer, right click manage, disk management)? Answers to these questions will give some insight as to what direction to take.

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello Austin,

Thank you for your reply.

Since I really don't know what I'm looking for, I will tell you what I see and hope I got the right information for you.

Under Device Manager, it shows a Primary IDE Channel and a Secondary IDE Channel.

Under Disk Management, this is what it looks like.

Partition Basic FAT Healthy (EISA Configuration) 39MB 32MB 82% NO 0%

Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy (Unknown Partition) 3.49GB 1.58GB 45% NO 0%

Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System) 70.96GB 2.23GB 3% NO 0%

Then below that in like boxes it has

Disk 0 (C:) 3.50 GB FAT32
Basic 39MB FAT 70.96 GB NTFS Healthy (Unknown Partition)
74.50 GB Healthy (EISA Config) Healthy (System)

I hope this gives you the information you need.
Can you please tell me, do you think it's safe to use my computer while you are helping me?

Thank you
Linda McC

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Linda, I just need you to check something inside the computer. It's nothing very complicated. You should see some gray cables in there. One of them will be attached to the hard drive (usually this gray cable will be connected to the motherboards blue IDE port). I don't want you to look at that one. Look at the other gray cable there. Is it connected to a device? If it is, which part of the cable is connected (middle or far end)?

If nothing is connected or if it's just connected in the middle, that message can be safely ignored. There should be a way to disable it also from the BIOS.

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Greykinght,

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

I have looked in my computer as per your instructions. This is what I see.

There are three gray cables in there.

One is attached to the motherboard at one end, there is an empty (open) connection in the middle and the other end appears to be connected to the cd drive.
That cable has writing on it that says DRIVE 1 in the area between the connection at that motherboard and the open middle connection.
Between the middle connection that is open and the connection at the cd drive it says DRIVE 0.

The second gray cable is connected at the motherboard on one end, and the other end appears to be connected to the floppy drive.
That cable says FD DRIVE.

The third cable is connected to the motherboard at one end.
There is an empty (open) connection in the middle and the other end is connected to a closed silver box mounted behind another silver box that appears to be the box that supports the USB and gaming ports.
That cable says HD DRIVE 1.

I hope that gives you the information you need and thank you for the help.

Linda

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That message is safe to ignore in your case. Did anyone remove a hardware inside before this message showed up? The computer thinks that there should be a drive there when there really isn't one there originally. So unless someone did take something out of there, this is nothing to worry about.

If you want, we can figure out how to remove that message if it's that annoying. You will have to enter the bios/setup. To enter it, power up and usually on your monitor, it will mention what key to press to enter setup/bios. You need to go inside there and look for something called the Secondary Drive and look for Drive 0 and disable it. The bios is not an area you want to play around with. So don't change anything else besides that. Once done, go to Exit and save changes.

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

That message is safe to ignore in your case. Did anyone remove a hardware inside before this message showed up? The computer thinks that there should be a drive there when there really isn't one there originally. So unless someone did take something out of there, this is nothing to worry about.

If you want, we can figure out how to remove that message if it's that annoying. You will have to enter the bios/setup. To enter it, power up and usually on your monitor, it will mention what key to press to enter setup/bios. You need to go inside there and look for something called the Secondary Drive and look for Drive 0 and disable it. The bios is not an area you want to play around with. So don't change anything else besides that. Once done, go to Exit and save changes.

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello Greyknight17,

I'm sorry for the long delays in response, dealing with an elderly, ill mom and having trouble getting on home computer at all.

I have not followed the instructions in your last response to me...yet. Reason being is that I went to use my CD RW drive the other day and it isn't being recognized by the computer. It opens and closes, the light comes on when a CD is inserted but nothing happens.

When I go to Windows Explorer and click on My Computer it does not even show up.

Is this possibly the secondary drive that is not found??

I am to the point where I would re-install the operating system by wiping the system and reloading but I can't get current files on CD.

I have no idea what my next step is.

Please advise.

Thank you for your time.
Respectfully
Linda McCorkle

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > disk manager > does the cdrom show up there

how about in device manager (same place as disk manager)

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

Under Disk Management, this is what is listed.

Under Disk Management, this is what it looks like.

Partition Basic FAT Healthy (EISA Configuration) 39MB 32MB 82% NO 0%

Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy (Unknown Partition) 3.49GB 1.58GB 45% NO 0%

Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System) 70.96GB 2.23GB 3% NO 0%

Then below that in like boxes it has

Disk 0 (C:) 3.50 GB FAT32
Basic 39MB FAT 70.96 GB NTFS Healthy (Unknown Partition)
74.50 GB Healthy (EISA Config) Healthy (System)

Under Device Manager

It has a Disk drives heading, and when clicked on it shows WDC WD 800BB-75FJA1

I do not see anything under Device Manager outright
listed as a CD-ROM or CD-RW which is what I have (CD-RW).

I would have copied and pasted the information but it won't allow it.

Thank you for your help.

Linda McCorkle

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's fine...your cdrom is deffinitely not being listed...have you opened the computer to see if it's still plugged in well? make sure all the plugs are in tight

LindaMcC

LindaMcC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, I have checked the connections several times. The computer is still open until this hopefully gets resolved.

The cd player opens, accepts a cd, closes and the light comes on but that's it.

Thank you.
Linda McC-

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hello LindaMcC

I saw your post in the waiting room and thought I would give this a shot. Have you removed any CD writing software prior to this occurrence? Regardless, try this suggestion as it only resets the default parameters and won't do any harm.

MS has a solution for the problem of optical drives not being seen in My computer that will work sometimes. You first need to uninstall through Add/Remove Programs any CD writing software installed on your PC. This can be reinstalled later. Go to this Microsoft page and click on Download Guided Help. When the box pops up Save it somewhere you can find it then run it.

The actions that this Guided Help performs can be undone after Guided Help is finished. To undo this Guided Help, run Guided Help again. On the Welcome page, click Undo this Guided Help, and then follow the instructions.

Hope that works for you.