Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Supply Units

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

Can I ask what is probably a daft question but one I just don't seem to be able to find an easy answer to. What are the standards in PC Power Supply Units?

I have had a couple of PC's that have had failed PSU's, the checking of which I'm quite happy with, but I really struggle to find compatible PSU's. For example I have a Mesh PC and the PSU is a HEC-300, put that into Google and you get only two pages and no indication of any other type of PSU being compatible. Obviously there are the different connectors but the same connector can have different wiring and different voltages / ampages, aagh!

I'd be grateful of any advice or to be directed to somewhere where you can find out more. Many thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
HEC power supplies are usually small form-factor ones which bear no relation whatsoever to a "standard" PSU dimension-wise. Powerwise, they provide as much as a standard one does, but I don't like them as the one in my other case packed up after four months and I couldn't find anything anywhere to replace it with that fitted the case so I had to throw a perfectly good case away because of a non-standard power supply with HEC written on it.

Compatiblity wise, most builders use a standard PSU that you could take to any other system and use with no issues. The only issues you have to watch out for is Dell (not as much of an issue as it used to be), HP (on occasion) and eMachines (and older Time/Tiny systems, those that are still working that is) as these providers are or have been known to use PSUs that are either not standard dimension-wise (forcing one to have to put the entire computer inside another case), heavily underpowered when it comes to expandability, or, in the case of some Dell machines, totally unique. Have a Dell with a PSU where the wiring of the cables is non-standard and you put a standard PSU on it, it will most likely never work again.

It sounds like your Mesh has a non-standard size PSU so see above what could be your likely options for it. Mesh will probably be able to sell you a new one as and when that blows, BUT it will probably not be cheap.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of the better companys i've found probably has what you want.

http://www.directron.com/hecps.html

I do a lot of business with directron and have had no problems with them.

SRX660

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Neil,
Thanks for the response, much appreciated. Yes it is a non-standard size as you say so I'm going to have fun finding a replacement!

Also thanks to SRX660,
Appreciate the response to, checked out the company you mentioned, unfortunately I'm in the UK though so that would make it a little expensive. Thanks tho!

Regards, Stu ...

Edited by stucuk, 10 July 2006 - 04:27 AM.