Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing System Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

MsfStl

MsfStl

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I am about out of space on my current system drive and would like to replace it with a larger drive. I have one caveat, I would like to copy the current drive onto a new larger drive so I don't have to re-install all software or reconfigure my present set up.

Is it possible to copy the present system drive image onto a new drive and then install the new drive as my primary (system) drive? I perform a lot of video and music editing and am happy with my set up as it is now, except that I am running out of space and that is beginning to create some issues when editing large video files.

Any suggestions for the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your time on this matter.

Scot

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
would it not be possible to use the new drive as a secondary drive to keep all your data files on? instead of keeping them on your system partition (i.e. install the new drive as a slave and move all the images and documents over to the slave drive)

MsfStl

MsfStl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I do that already. My system drive has all of 10Gb of total space. Internally I have added two 20 Gb and one 200 Gb hard drives. Additionally, I have a 300Gb external drive. I would like to swap one of the 20Gb drives with the 10Gb system drive is that possible?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gotcha....just making sure... you can use a drive imaging program like acronis trueimage to make an image of your drive...i personally have never used a program of this type...but the one i mentioned comes with good reviews.

MsfStl

MsfStl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, I'll check it out.