Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTVDM Errors on W2k3 Server Standard SP1

• Please log in to reply

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello,

When I attempt to install SQL tools on a Windows 2003 Server standard running SP1 I receive a cryptic popup box that simply says "ntvdm encountered a hard error".

In troubleshooting I have found that any 16 bit app generates this error. I can't even run command.com w/o the error being generated.

I have copied the ntvdm.exe and ntvdmd.dll files from another server not having the issue hoping one of the files may be corrupt but I'm still having the same issues.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Bob Green

Bob Green

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know that this post is old, but I'm having the same problem except I'm on SP2. I"ve been all over the internet looking for a solution but nothing seems to work..

Any help? What info do you need to know?

Thanks
Bob