Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom pc boot up/ram problem

• Please log in to reply

mgs251

mgs251

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I am haveing a custom built pc made. The guy putting it togather has ordered and recieved all the parts. He has everything togather. He ran into a problem though. I have 2x 1gig ramchips that i want in this pc, So he put them in and tried to turn it on. It wouldnt not boot up correctly. So he took them out and put in a standered 256mb ram stick and it worked. Im guessing one of the 1gig sticks is bad. I told him to try them one at a time to see if one of them would work. He has not tried that yet, But will soon. A compatibilitys problem is not the issue. the pc supports up to 4 gigs, And everything is compatible. Could it be what i was thinking? just a bad ram stick. Or something else. Any ideas are appreciated.

Here are the system specs, Although they are not too specific.

1. A true Intel 900 series board (reliable gaming board)
2. Genuine pentium 4, 3gig pinless processor
3. 2x 1gig ram chips
4. 250gig serial ATA hard drive
5. cdrw/dvdrw combo drive
6. 256mb pci express video card with ATI chipset
7. Soundblaster Audigy 2 Zs 7.1 channel soundcard
8. Windows XP
9. Office 2003
10. Antivirus and other software.
11. Wireless keyboard and mouse

Advertisements

mgs251

mgs251

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok well he tried both of the 1gig sticks one at a time..neither of them work..I dont think both sticks would come dead..Unless i was unlucky as crap. any other ideas?

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Maybe the speeds of the RAM is causing it. Try changing the speeds in BIOS see if that helps. I have the sam sort of problem if i set the RAM at DDR-400 i constantly get blue screens and if i change it to DDR 300 it works fine with not 1 blue screen and ive ran my pc for 24 hours running games and everything.

mgs251

mgs251

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ill tell him that and see what happens..But wouldnt it make the ram slower? its a gameing rig. And ddr400 should work on this mobo..I dont get this