Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD installation problems

• Please log in to reply

sammyblank

sammyblank

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi guys,
I have a full version of Mcafee antivirus 2006 on a CD and it wont let me install it on my comp. It does however install perfectly on another computer that i tried it in, just not the one that I want it on, so I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the copy. On my computer it acknowledges the CD and even autoruns it, but when it gets to the part where it ask you to put in your country and to accept the terms and conditions, upon clicking accept the installation dies, and thats it. I am really at a miss to understand this. If anyone has any thoughts on the this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go to http://www.mcafeehel...ution=1280x1024, click on technical support. Look for "virtual technician". run and report back results.

sammyblank

sammyblank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the reply starjax.
I went to the site as to said and started the virtual tech. Only it said that I need to used IE (I use firefox) or download a manual copy of the program. So I dicided to download a copy, but for some reason when I go to open it, nothing happens. So I am now tring to bring IE back to life because for some reason it does not want to work, it keeps saying "the application has failed because IEFRAME.dll was not found". This is all well and good if I could uninstall it but it is not present in add/remove programs. So you see it has become a fair bit more complicated. I think previously I wanted to uninstall because of the corruption or something, and I may have just deleted the folder to try and kill it, I was desperate. Anyway not sure if you can help me, I know it is a bit of a mess. Thanks again for the reply.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Have you ever installed the ie7 beta? We could regsvr32 some of the dll's, but I think it would be better if we went through the following steps:

Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP