Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what does this exactly mean?

• Please log in to reply

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
not sure if this is the right forum for my question but i think it is.....

what exactly does this mean in very clear simple plain english PLEASE:

CRC failed in files.dat

what exactly is it referring to and in what area of the computer system? i am having some serious problems with my laptop..i am unable to download software so far...including antivirus software... so i'm using some geek help & researching my info to understand clearly so i can fix my problem!

:whistling:

Advertisements

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
"CRC" stands for "Cyclical Redundancy Check": This a test concerning the transmission of data (files, MP3's, etc) over a line (Internet); when a file is requested by you for download from a server, a small piece of code is added to the transmission which your computer will read upon receiving the requested file. Your computer "opens" this tiny bit of code and quickly analyzes its contents; if the numbers make sense and match, your file is correct, uncorrupted and received as it was requested.

This error message originates, I believe, from an element of the processor which is supposed to determine this "Redundancy Check" on your file(s). If it is a constant, repetitive problem, it may indicate that your computer is having problems with its receiving of and opening\ sealing of "packets" (the bits of transmitted data that is set and received via the 'Net.

Get a diagnostic run on your processor chipset and your HTTP protocols looked at.

Hope this helps.

reRanger :whistling:

Edited by reRanger, 07 July 2006 - 11:07 PM.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
reranger thank u so much! u explained it perfectly.
so if i were to download an antiviurs program using an actually CD from a package versus a download off the internet, i shouldn't have a problem right? b/c the problem i'm having is assimilating the file thru the net? am i making sense and understanding u?

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, in this case, a packaged CD version should work great. And, you are making sense just fine.

reRanger

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
ranger...on a scale of 1-10..
10 being the worst...
with having that problem, how bad is it? how worried should i be? is it the kind of problem that will grow like fungus & spread across territory? :whistling:

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
s2006:

On a scale from 1-10: well, its probably between 5-6 on that scale; that is, if you are planning on ready access to Internet downloads, it will remain an annoying problem (but one that should be able to be remedied by a professional) This problem should not "spread" as it seems rather isolated to Internet transmissions. Question: are you able to send and more importantly receive\ open e-mails? Just wondered because e-mails use this same type of protocol "CRC". What you are experiencing is an "error" but not a "Fatal" (system\ OS) error, so, you should just keep researching the problem, write down any\ all error messages for future reference, and also make sure your laptop (it is a lappy, right?) does not overheat by running for too long; this overheating is primarily due to the processor chip running fast, creating heat, and therefore frying itself prematurely.

Regards,

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
i'm able to read-open emails.
what if someone has to replace their hard drive & then uses a system restore cd/disk and not an actual windows program cd? would this cause the type of error that i'm having?

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Since you are able to open-read e-mails it is a good sign; an e-mail is just another type of data file, a much smaller version of an MP3 or an executable program (remember, data is data (0's and 1's, Binary).

This problem should not affect other regions of your computer; the error seems to be strictly denoting that there is a problem with transmission protocols, that is, the way in which your computer receives and handles the requested file. The error may lie within the software you are trying to download as well, not your computer: if you download a program and a file within this program is corrupt, it should be detected and would possibly throw this error in the form of a message for you to see.

Windows, Operating Systems, and restore disks: Microsoft is notorious :blink: (NOTORIOUS!) for having more than its fair share of problems. It can become highly unstable, and all it takes is the loss of one, single XP system file (for example) to create a problem. My XP to this day simply "loses" files from its operating system and is unable to repair itself.

Restore disks are valuable and should not present problems. New hard-drives are great. But, the combination of (new) hardware, software, configurations, and possible viral infections can present a plethora of problems which are sometimes very difficult to determine.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
ranger u sound pretty knowledgeable of how it all works...can i also ask you....
if i were to have a virus or something alike, would that somehow show in anyway thru the hijackthislog?

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
s2006:

What exactly does "hijackthislog" mean? A spyware program, anti-virus application, or a error log of some sort?

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
one of the geek staff had me run a program "hijackthis"...it seems to generate a log of one's computer system...i hope i'm explaining right.
i've gone thru 3 computers now my laptop..i'm to the point where i want to start fixing EVERYTHING myself...hardware to software!!! might sound horrifying but i kind of like trying to figure out why all this bs is happening :whistling:

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
s2006:

When you have the time, please look at this link http://en.wikipedia..../Protocol_stack

: this refers to the "network stack"; this is the area of your computer that deals with the sending and receiving of transmission data (via Internet); the "protocols" based in your machine via software (in the case of sending, say, an e-mail) initializes, prepares, packages, and sends it on its way to a destination, another computer, where that computer does just the opposite (receives, unpackages, does a CRC, prepares it the data to view, presents it to you on your screen ((this is very intersting: your computer converts your e-mail to electrical signals, pure energy, and sends it on its way over the telephone or cable lines to its destinations))

It took me forever to understand this stuff, but it is very important in understanding the basic operations of networking and how the ' Net operates; your error lies somewhere in network stack, most likely (see illustration)

Posted Image

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
:whistling: hey thanks ranger, i'm going to study it and do some research. i actually looked up bios which was kind of interesting. it's rather gratifying to truly understand how the computer thinks and works...kind of like human anatomy. i think the better i'll understand the less problems i'll have!!!!

reRanger

reRanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
s2006:

Yes, understanding the machine is very important and interesting; you will find many intriguing aspects and some that will amaze you. The very computer you read this message on is in a sense "alive", perhaps not literally, but it mimics the human mind and will eventually, considering the speed at which software is being developed and memory expanded, reach a point of self-thinking consciousness, just like actual life. This is not imaginary but is being worked on around the world as we speak. And yes, this is very similar to studying human anatomy: parts within a system all working together for the whole... the body.

Posted Image

reRanger

Edited by reRanger, 08 July 2006 - 03:49 PM.

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
funny photo ranger :whistling:
is that from starwars?