Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build - Almost worked? But now no post

• Please log in to reply

devmike

devmike

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Specs:

600w ATX Powersupply

Asus A8N-SLI - Mobo

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor

ATI Radeon x1600 512mb PCIexpress

Corsair DDR 2gig

The Scoop.
I've built a few computers before, but its been a while. Everything seemed good while I was installing the gear the first time. I got the computer to post CD drives opened, it just seemed like video was having issues kept having black screen no matter what I tried with the video card. Finally I got frustrated, pulled the mobo out and reinstalled everything from the beginning again aside from processor. Got to the same point, posting beeps CD drives working, no video. Since its a PCIexpress card I dont have any others to test it with and have never encountered anything like this before. I went through the troubleshooting guide on this site and currently when I press the power button it starts to boot then shuts itself off unless i hold down the reset switch but now no posting.

Ive spent about $1000 on this thing, I'm willing to try anything, and if anyone knows of a place that would try to build it for me.. I'm game for that even if it costs some more coin.

Edited by devmike, 08 July 2006 - 08:57 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Did you try step three and step four in the troubleshooting procedure? That would be bare bones and outside of the case on a piece of cardboard. Did you get the same results?

devmike

devmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I had the mobo out of the computer on cardboard trying to figure out exactly what the issue was.

Honestly, the only thing I can come up with is that ASUS sucks. I'm going to RMA the mobo and try again.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
They all suck when they don't work. For the most part, reviews I have read on Asus are good. Hope a new board does the trick for you. Good luck!

devmike

devmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay say I RMA this board.

Any recommendations on another compatible one? I've been out of the game for a while.

Parts list:
AGP Video x1600 Pro ATI Radeon 512mb

MEM 1Gx2|DDR CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt

PSU XION | XON-600F14T-201 600W

CPU AMD|A64 X2 3800+ 2.0G 939

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I am still using AMD socket 754. I have been looking at some socket 939 reviews for my next system. Here are some reviews I found. http://www.hothardwa...px?articleid=57
Web searches and review reading is what I do. So far this method has not failed me. This is how I decided on my two systems that have different Gigabyte motheboards.

Maybe you just got a bad Asus this time? They may only offer repair or exhange.

devmike

devmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot!

You might be right about that Repair or Exchange, theres really nothing wrong with the board. Bought it from newegg tho so, I'll have to see on Monday.

MarEo

MarEo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a A-bit mobo and just transfered my Old Hard Drive into this gaming rig and I got nothing now I can only log on using safe mode or else my PC restarts as soon as the windows logo appears. I think the problem is in my Video card I got BFG 6600 OC 512 and I had the hardest time installing the drivers. well if anyone could help I would appreciate it.