Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade compatibility

• Please log in to reply

tstadt

tstadt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I would like to upgrade my memory on a Dell Dimension 4550 and have received different advise from people I ask regarding what I can use. The system calls for PC2700 DDR and can accept up to 1GB (2x512).
I have noticed sales on PC3200 memory but never PC2700. Can I use PC3200? I currently have 1 256mb and 1 128mb PC2700's . My plan was to replace the 128mb with a 512mb. Can I use PC3200? Can I use a 512mb PC3200 with a 256mb PC2700?
Also, in using some of the memory searches by various vendors they show different part numbers for Dell compatibility. Does it really matter?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Yes, it does matter. I would urge you to take every precaution to make sure the memory you purchase is compatible with your motorboard. If you don't do that, it is a crap shoot and you take a chance of being greatly disappointed after spending your money! There are some upgrade checkers on manufacturers web pages that you can use to make sure what you buy will work on your Dell. Crucial.com comes to mind, Kingston too. There are others.