Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring software from old drive to new

• Please log in to reply

jdimauro

jdimauro

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello-
Hoping someone can help save me days of reinstall.

I had serious boot problems with my drive. I got a new drive and installed XP on it. All is good.

I have hundreds of programs, fonts, updates, etc ,that I don't have all the install disks for.

Is there a way to transfer all my programs to my new drive without the install disks?

I tried launching some from the old drive, but most will not. My guess is due to lack of registry entries on the new drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanx
Joey

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately not, you would need the original install disks again. Sorry.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you need to install them on the new drive fresh, you can probably manually add in additions you ve made and your personal user files but the programs themselves will be a no go.

jdimauro

jdimauro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ah well. I've spent the afternoon digging up the install disks, but was hoping someone knew what files to drag into my new system.

I love this site, and thanx to both of you for your replies.

Joey

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
You could try using the Microsoft Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You will want to move all your application data files and any files to do with profiles in the applications folders, the applications once installed only need the your user files and they will be just as they were before.