Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad hard drive/ installing windows

• Please log in to reply

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
:blink:

a couple of weeks ago, i my hard drive went bye bye. i had a tech buy tell me that there was no data left so i bought a new hd & got it installed. the only disk i have with the laptop is the SYSTEM RESTORE cd so he said to pop that in & it should be fine. Does that seem correct as far as reinstalling the system since the hd was completely fried? :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Well, I hope so. You may have to access the bios to change the boot order to boot from cd first, then pop in the cd boot up and see if it works. If that restore cd provides for a clean install of the operating system, great. However, I wouldn't be suprised if it looks for some kind of proprietary validation on the hard drive before it will allow you to use it. What kind of computer? (Dell, Compaq??)

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi austin, it's a gateway latop & i bought it in january.
what do u mean when u say if it is looking for a proprietary validation from the hd?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Some manufacturers put some kind of validation key on the hd and it has to be there for the recovery cd t work. My o l d hp that came with Windows 98 on a recovery cd was like that. I have read posts on this forum and others where the recovery cd didn't work after the hd was formatted or replaced. It may not be the case with your system. However, if it is the case just be be prepared to call Gateway support. They may be able to get you going. If you just bought the system in January it should be under warranty! I would be asking them how come the hard drive died?

s2006

s2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
thanks for the input austin, i'll probably have to give them a call...i dunno maybe i'll sell it on ebay :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It wouldn't hurt to try changing the boot order and running the recovery cd. The worse that could happen is it will fail. It is under warranty so don't hesitate to call Gateway if needed.