Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing files on a network

• Please log in to reply

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
:tazz: I'm running to computer both have xp home. On my computer i go to My Network then on view workgroup computers. Then when i click on the other computers symbol I get this message "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". How do i fix this so i can access the files on the other computer.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
you may have many options. this may help, http://www.howtonetw...cessibalee1.htm

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
That didnt help any other ideas???

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Make sure both computers are in the the same workgroup. Go to control panel, system, click the "computer name" tab. Where it says "workgroup" there should be a name like MSHome, or something you entered. Both pc's have to have the same name there. They also both have to have the same user account on each one. For example I have my user account on my pc and on my other one I have the same username with administrative priveledges on both.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

uilo

uilo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
before starting make sure the cable you are using to connect the 2 computers is either a crossover cable or 2 normal grey cables using a hub. crossover cables are nomaly coloured yellow(correct me if im wrong) if you are using a serial cable make sure the com ports are configured properly etc.

go to network properties via the controll panal or some tother way and make sure that both computers have a ICP/IP compantable protocal, if they dont add one to each by pressing add protocal adn following the on screen instructions, normaly the protocal you want to add is called "microsoft TCP/IP compatable protocal" or summin like that

any way once both machines have one of them you need to access to properties of each one and navigate to the tab contains "specify an ip address" in one computer add the ip address:

and on the other

subnet mask on both should be 255.255.255.0

also make sure that both computers have a file shring protocal in the protcal list also, normaly on most versions of windos there is a button saying file and print sharing, click it and tick on file sharing.

also navigate to the identity tab and fill in the fields.

now press ok and restart

on one computer now share one or more files and they should be accessable via network neibourhood.

HOPE THIS HELPED! :tazz:

need any more information e-mail me on [email protected]

uilo

uilo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
just to add... in xp to access your connection protocal go into control panal and select classic view in teh top left. now double click on network connections. if you have a bridge right click on that and select properties else it will be the one called local area network that you need to access teh properties for