Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to launch most Control Panel icons, as well as SEARCH from the

• Please log in to reply

Cato987

Cato987

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am able to launch the Control panel. However, when I click on Add/Remove Programs, User Accounts, etc... nothing happens. I AM able to launch other items (such as Scanners..).

I am Not able to launch Search from the Start Menu, or Help & Support. When I try, I get a message stating something to the effect of "Cannot create a shortcut here, put on desktop?" When I respond yes, the shortcut is created on the desktop, but it doesn't launch anything.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
for the first issue, go here:

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

get the CPL FILE extension fix and download and run

for the second....ok, that's a toughie....I have not seen that before, but let's see if reinstalling search will fix it

Start>Run, type
%systemroot%\inf
<enter>

find Srchasst.inf

Right-click Srchasst.inf file, and then choose install

reboot.

Cato987

Cato987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for quick response. I've already tried running the Doug Knox scripts, and that did not help. They said that they ran successfully... but still have the same symptoms.

As for the second (reinstalling search)... I cannot launch RUN from the STart command, either. :-(

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Cato987...

If you navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and double click on the regedt32 icon, does the Registry Editor open?

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot click on START, then choose RUN?

Cato987

Cato987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ended up installing SP2.. and these issues are resolved. Only thing left is Fast User Switching is not working. Thanks for the suggestions.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
<enter>

is fast user switching set to run automatically, manually, or disabled?

Cato987

Cato987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Automatically, and I rebooted and it's still set to Automatic.

Cato987

Cato987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Looks like I'm getting a 0xC0000018 error code from a Terminal Services process whenever I try to switch users. Security or lack of resources?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download and install teh fix fast user switch patch from line 34

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Cato987

Cato987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks. I completed an extensive cleanup of the PC, including disabling several startup programs. I was able to get Fast User Switching by doing that (as was suggested, not enough available memory). I will keep a bookmark to the above registry changes, in the event I need to use them.

I'm also going to upgrade from 512 Megs to 1 Gig's RAM, as I upgraded to SP2 as part of the "cleanup". :whistling:

Thanks for all the help.