Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Skype Video

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi;

I`m trying to help a customer with Skype.

They have set up Skype and can call and talk to other contacts no problem.
What they would like to do now is use Skype with a web cam and be able to talk and see the person they are calling and visa versa.

I have never played with Skype before but want to learn, as this is the second person that has asked for help with Skype.

The Webcam is setup and is working and can be tested in Skype and it functions OK, but when you fire up Skype the webcam does not seem to switch on. I cannot find a guide on using Skype with a webcam.

Some advice seems to say that you have to use windows messanger for the video and skype for the voice.

The Video in Skype says Video BETA which seems to point out that it is not yet finished??

Any help would be great.

UPDATE............

I have been doing some more research and have found a Skype Forum which is full of posts with the same problem, it seems that any version above 2.0 encouters problems, the latest version 2.5 is still problematic for some it works for some it doesn`t.

I have set up Skype and downgraded to an earlier version 2.0.0.107 but do not know anyone with a skype account and web cam to test (Apart from the pesrson I am trying to help!! Billy No Mates.

However I have found a video test service called in Japan on a website called Tapur dial "videoecho123", I tried it this morning although it cuts out before it lets you record your message the Web Cam works OK, so it appears that the solution is to downgrade to 2.0.0.107 until Skype fixes the problem.

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 09 July 2006 - 04:19 AM.

Advertisements