Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NAS Help

• Please log in to reply

Carlos_m1

Carlos_m1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok Guys, I have a (actually two) real winners for you:

I was handed a Maxtor MaxAttach NAS 4100 with 2 80 GB Hdd's.
(Hdd's and Cables are "Known" to be good).

It Will boot and operate when I use Knoppix (as it's a TSR), So I know the problem is not the motherboard.
(Yes, I did talk to Maxtor, they said the MB was bad - thats why I broke out the Knoppix and checked)

However, no matter what I do - it won't boot from the HDD. (Tried 5 Known to be good drives)
So I can't install an OS (I started to install XP, It does the format, and copies files ok, but when it reboots to install them - Nada - nothing - zippo...)

After trying every option I could think of in the BIOS Still nothing. I did get and read the manuals.

During this, I noticed what seems to be an "add-on" Bios called "NAS 4 Series Bios" - I think this is the problem, since it tries SCSI First, and the unit as currently configured does not have SCSI. There are options for changing this (at least temporaraly) to other Boot devices, However that doesnt work either.

=======
The Second one is the same problem with (Two) Maxtor MaxAttach NAS 4000's (they don't have kb/vid options making them a second priority, Max Neighborhood cant find them (probably cuz they ain't booting).

Looking for any and all Ideas....

And does anyone know where I can find the elusive NAS 4 Series Bios?
Anyone know which OS comes with these units?
(Software DL/ or the Idea of ripping it out is starting to look good also)

Thanks,

Advertisements

Carlos_m1

Carlos_m1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If your reading this post here's how I got Access to the 4100:
(The 4000 still has me beat - until I can get a few bugs worked out)

The way I did it is I opened it up. put in a cdrom. inserted the hard drives. ran freenas from the hard drive. It makes one of the hard drives the boot drive and installs necessary drivers. when it boots you select to modify. then set the ip's for the network cards. next boot select the device to boot from. ie. whatever harddrive, floppy, or usb. to boot from. all other modifications are done from the web terminal. when you type in the ip address it brings up a log in window. I believe it is username = admin and password = freenas but im not sure I changed mine. once in you add/format the drives and follow instructions

Other than that;

This might be of some interest:
I built Pixie-SS http://pixie-ss.sourceforge.net/